Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manual migration

I have a 2012 iMac running Catalina. It is about to give up the ghost, running really slow. I mean REALLY slow. Even web pages. Had it in the store and the genius there said probably even a clean install would not fix it. (BTW the 1TB drive is only about half full).

SO, I’ve bought a new iMac. As I wait for delivery, I want to get ready. I want to set it up as a new machine, not use migration assistant. I have a few key questions:

1). The only existing program I really care about is Adobe Lightroom (My wife is a photographer and this is her machine). Is there anything in the preferences I need to move?

2). I use Apple Music, but also am a longtime iTunes user. Thus, my library contains downloaded music and even ripped songs from cd’s. An Apple support person told me the easiest thing to do would be to open music, select all in the library, copy, then paste those into a folder and drag that into the library of the new machine. Do you agree that is the best idea?

3). Is there anything else I’m not thinking of which I need to copy over from the old machine, such as stuff in the system folder or preferences?

thank you!

Phil Rogers

chicago

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 3:34 PM

You do not want to perform a manual migration.

Have a last Time Machine backup from the 2012 Mac mounted on the new iMac when you first power it up. There will be an initial setup process and within it will be a question of migrating data from a Time Machine drive. You want to select that, and it will take a moment to find your TM drive, and then begin transferring third-party applications and all of your personal data, email, and other preference settings to the new machine.

When setup is done, and immediately after the reboot, remove your Catalina TM drive and keep it in a safe place. Do not resuse it with Monterey, and do acquire another drive that is 2.5 - 3x larger than the new iMac's drive. The new 7200 rpm rotational, or SSD TM drive must be reformatted as APFS in Disk Utility before its first Monterey TM backup.

When you reboot, you should be greeted with your Catalina configurations on Monterey with minimal further tweaks. I always use this process and am quite satisfied with it. I never use the migration assistant over the network between Macs as that is an infinity joke. The name of your iMacs (system preferences > Sharing panel) must be unique, just as their network address.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2022 3:34 PM in response to Phil Rogers

You do not want to perform a manual migration.

Have a last Time Machine backup from the 2012 Mac mounted on the new iMac when you first power it up. There will be an initial setup process and within it will be a question of migrating data from a Time Machine drive. You want to select that, and it will take a moment to find your TM drive, and then begin transferring third-party applications and all of your personal data, email, and other preference settings to the new machine.

When setup is done, and immediately after the reboot, remove your Catalina TM drive and keep it in a safe place. Do not resuse it with Monterey, and do acquire another drive that is 2.5 - 3x larger than the new iMac's drive. The new 7200 rpm rotational, or SSD TM drive must be reformatted as APFS in Disk Utility before its first Monterey TM backup.

When you reboot, you should be greeted with your Catalina configurations on Monterey with minimal further tweaks. I always use this process and am quite satisfied with it. I never use the migration assistant over the network between Macs as that is an infinity joke. The name of your iMacs (system preferences > Sharing panel) must be unique, just as their network address.

Aug 31, 2022 5:23 PM in response to Phil Rogers

I agree with VikingOSX. Don't do what you are proposing.

Create a Time Machine backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support. When you get the new Mac, part of its initial setup asks if you want to transfer information from another Mac or its Time Machine backup. Do that.

Unlike VikingOSX I have never encountered a problem with migration over a network, but I recommend using Ethernet whenever practicable. Migrating over Wi-Fi invites the unpredictable vagaries of one's local wireless environment.

This describes what I have done with multiple Macs over the course of decades.

Aug 31, 2022 6:12 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks to everyone, but please understand, I don’t WANT to mirror the old machine. I want to set up the new iMac as a completely new computer. I DO want to save my music, and I’m concerned about the presets in Lightroom. Even in Photos I’m willing to start completely clean. But I’m worried there might be something I’m not considering.

Aug 31, 2022 6:36 PM in response to Phil Rogers

But I’m worried there might be something I’m not considering.

Such as the two replies you received?

Get the new Mac and move things across the way you described. Find out what works and what doesn't, and then you will be the expert.

Since you asked though,

1). The only existing program I really care about is Adobe Lightroom (My wife is a photographer and this is her machine). Is there anything in the preferences I need to move?

Move everything.

2) ... Do you agree that is the best idea?

No. It's not even a good idea.

3). Is there anything else I’m not thinking of which I need to copy over from the old machine, such as stuff in the system folder or preferences?

Move everything.

Let us know how it goes. You can always start over and do what I recommend though, so you have nothing to lose.

Aug 31, 2022 7:33 PM in response to John Galt

John, understand that I’m not a computer expert. I’m just a guy. I have a really poorly performing iMac. It takes forever to load a web page. Clicking on an email can result in a 30 second wait before it displays. Today, I killed an old app by dragging it to the trash. It’s icon remained in my applications folder, even after I emptied the trash. The Genius at the Apple store could not give me any reason for the machine’s other than the fact that it’s old. But I fear something else is going on there, something is corrupted, something I can’t determine. And the last thing I want to do is drag that to a new $1800 machine. So I’d like to start fresh. And there is very little on that old Mac that I need to save. A few movie files. A few hundred photos I can copy. And yes, Adobe Lightroom, which is a big program that stores a lot of files and preferences. I was just looking for some help here. You acted really offended. I’m sorry.

Aug 31, 2022 7:57 PM in response to Phil Rogers

I am not offended. I am motivated to help you, and that's why I am suggesting what I did. Apple designed Macs to work for people like you. Not computer experts. What you proposed is complex and error-prone; a project something computer experts might enjoy.

The Genius at the Apple store could not give me any reason for the machine’s other than the fact that it’s old.

Unless you want to pay someone for a thorough diagnosis and then pay more for what is almost certain to be a cost-prohibitive repair, that's what you can expect an Apple Genius to say. Macs don't fail just because they're old; they have spinning hard disk drives that wear out and need to be replaced. Ten years is about the best you can expect from them.

It is premature to conclude that is what's going on with yours. We can perform some basic troubleshooting to confirm it if you want to, but the symptoms you describe are consistent with disk failure. Replacing an iMac hard disk drive would cost you a minimum of $400, and Apple won't repair that Mac anyway. It's too old. That's why they said what they said: buy a new one.

It's not my intent to discourage you from doing what you proposed either. I sincerely meant what I wrote: try it. I just think it's a waste of time.

Manual migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.