Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Code (-50)

I'm trying to copy my iTunes library to a new laptop and am not tech savvy (at all!!!). Online, I found the advice to consolidate the iTunes files by going to: File > Library > Organize Library > check the Consolidate Files box > click OK. I tried that but keep getting this message: "Copying Files failed. An unknown error occurred (-50)." This is only step one and I'm having difficulties! Please help if you can.

Windows, 10

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 11:57 AM

Is your active iTunes Library.itl file in D:\<UserName>\Music\iTunes? If so then presumably the folder D:\<UserName>\Music\iTunes already holds your library in a portable shape and you simply need to copy this folder, or move the drive, to your new computer, then hold down option as you launch iTunes to choose the library on the new path.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2022 11:57 AM in response to squeal6347

Is your active iTunes Library.itl file in D:\<UserName>\Music\iTunes? If so then presumably the folder D:\<UserName>\Music\iTunes already holds your library in a portable shape and you simply need to copy this folder, or move the drive, to your new computer, then hold down option as you launch iTunes to choose the library on the new path.

tt2

Aug 31, 2022 2:23 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for responding turingtest2. I appreciate it.

If I'm understanding your first question correctly, I've located the location of the iTunes Media folder on my old computer by going through iTunes: Edit > Preferences tab. The path listed there is: D: \ my user account name \ Music \ iTunes \ iTunes Media (and I've check-marked the box Copy Files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library).

I do have McAfee Total Pro on the old computer where I'm trying to consolidate from but don't know how I'd check if the software was blocking this process or not. You completely lost me at asking me to use Windows tools to check the health of the hard drive. I wouldn't know where to find them or how to make them work.

Error Code (-50)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.