Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a new MacBook Air M1 support 2 (dual) internal SSD?

I am migrating from a late 2012 MacMini to a new MacBook Air M1. Will this new MacBook Air Mi support 2 (dual) internal SSD?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 2:43 PM

7 replies

Sep 4, 2022 1:06 PM in response to FoxFifth

One last piece of advice please, of the three choices shown below considering cost is not an issue considering all units would have a single 512 GB SD and 8 GB of RAM, which of the following would be best for the every day user, someone who is not into graphics or editing music: just email the odd PDF and the Internet.

MacBook Pro 13”

Retina display

Apple M2 chip

8-core CPU 10-coreGPU

8 GB unified memory

512 GB configurable storage

3.0 lb. Weight

Touch Bar and Touch ID

--OR--

MacBook Pro 14”

Liquid Retina XDR display1

Apple M1 Pro chip --or-- Apple M1 Max chip (unsure which chip)

--OR--

MacBook Air 13"

Apple M1 --or-- Apple M2 chip (unsure which chip)

8-Core CPU 7-Core GPU

8GB Unified Memory

512 GB SSD Storage

• 16-core Neural Engine
  • 13-inch Retina display with True Tone
  • Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports

--OR--

8-Core CPU 10-Core GPU

8GB Unified Memory

512GB SSD Storage

• 16-core Neural Engine
  • MagSafe 3 charging port
  • Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR ASSISTANCE.

J W NORRIS

Sep 3, 2022 3:26 PM in response to jwnorris

The only possibility that I can think of is with a 2012 or earlier MacBook Pro it was possible (using 3rd party adapters and parts) to replace the internal optical drive with a hard disk or SSD.

I wouldn't recommend that as a MacBook Pro that old won't run the current macOS operating system.

I'm not sure what your needs are, but are you aware that the current MacBook Pro is configurable at purchase to as much as 8TB?

Sep 4, 2022 2:10 PM in response to jwnorris

That describes my usage.

Any of those would be more than adequate for what I do. If I was buying one today, I would buy the 14" MacBook Pro with the M1 Pro chip. Note that it comes with 16GB memory. The only reasons for that being my choice over the others (which as stated before are more than adequate for my needs) is that it is the latest design and I think I would like the 14" screen -- it is larger but the outside dimensions of the computer are only slightly larger.

This wouldn't matter to me, but be aware that it is possible that Apple will release upgraded models (e.g., possibly with an M2 chip) sometime later this year.

Will a new MacBook Air M1 support 2 (dual) internal SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.