Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring iTunes library from a backup 'iTunes Library.itl' left hung on 'loading...' / not working?

Hi, I've been trying to copy an existing music and playlists from my Macbook Pro (13" late 2011 / High Sierra 10.13.6) iTunes library to Music on my office iMac (27" 2017 / Monterey 12.5.1) but I'm having issues getting the files to read/ import. I have managed to complete this action before so I'm wondering if its related to an update to Music?

I've been using the 'Restore your library from a backup' guide but when choosing the 'iTunes Library.itl' file saved locally, I'm left with a hung 'Loading...' message in Music. The reason I'm using this restore guide is because I want to retain the metadata in the library relating to .wav files. Simply copying the music library over works fine and I can import playlists from a backup 'iTunes Music Library.xml'. However this process loses this info and I have over 500 tracks without names.

I thought it might be a processing issue as the Activity Monitor drops to nothing during the 'Loading...'. But I've just tried doing the same on a Macbook Pro (14" 2021 / Monterey 12.5) with the same results. As I say, I've been able to do this before so I'm not sure what has changed outside of the OS?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 9:57 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 3, 2022 3:45 PM in response to JAtkinson_

Hello JAtkinson_,

We understand you’re trying to move your iTunes library to a new computer.

Please try the steps in this article that we think can help you with transferring your iTunes library from your MacBook Pro to your iMac.: Move your iTunes library to another computer - Apple Support

Post back if you still have problems after working through the steps in the links above.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Sep 5, 2022 1:38 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Hi J_Johnnyboy,

Thanks, but this solution isn't any different (other than being directed at Windows/PC users?) to the guide I referenced in my post that I've already tried?

Again, I'm backing up my itunes folder and copying it across to a new/different mac following the 'Restore from a backup

' guide prompts. But it gets stuck after I do the final instruction:

• Choose the iTunes folder you dragged to your computer in step 2, click Open, then choose the iTunes Library.itl file inside.

Have tried again just now with the same result; left on 'Loading...'.

Restoring iTunes library from a backup 'iTunes Library.itl' left hung on 'loading...' / not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.