Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mail Attachments can no longer be embedded in the body of the email. They are defaulting to the bottom of the email after the signature. Even worse they go to the bottom of a thread.

Mac Mail Attachments can no longer be embedded in the body of the email. They are defaulting to the bottom of the email after the signature. Even worse they go to the bottom of a thread.

If anyone can help fix this I would appreciate it. I've updated to 12.5.1 to no avail. This functionality still works fine on iOS mail.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 8:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 8:31 AM

Thank you! I did not want to rebuild and didn't think it would help. I was sure this happened after an update.

So.....Yes. I had already checked the "attachments at end of email" checkbox. First thing I did. I have several email accounts and I just went through and checked EACH one again. None of them have that 'end of email' checkbox selected.

HOWEVER...I had neglected to check this at the 'all inboxes level. Sure enough, that bugger is turned on! Problem solved and note to self: Log a defect for that... "If turned on the top level then all others grey out".

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2022 8:31 AM in response to etresoft

Thank you! I did not want to rebuild and didn't think it would help. I was sure this happened after an update.

So.....Yes. I had already checked the "attachments at end of email" checkbox. First thing I did. I have several email accounts and I just went through and checked EACH one again. None of them have that 'end of email' checkbox selected.

HOWEVER...I had neglected to check this at the 'all inboxes level. Sure enough, that bugger is turned on! Problem solved and note to self: Log a defect for that... "If turned on the top level then all others grey out".

Sep 2, 2022 6:14 AM in response to how_2_use

That's how it used to work. For years. But suddenly not. I can not paperclip. I can not drag and drop I cannot copy and paste . Any attempt to do so results in the attachment placing itself at the bottom of the email, after the signature line or the last character in the text. If threaded, the bottom of the thread. I have tried not using signatures. I have tried every manner of attachment in every manner of attaching.

Sep 2, 2022 6:49 AM in response to westcountychick

westcountychick wrote:

That's how it used to work. For years. But suddenly not. I can not paperclip. I can not drag and drop I cannot copy and paste . Any attempt to do so results in the attachment placing itself at the bottom of the email, after the signature line or the last character in the text. If threaded, the bottom of the thread. I have tried not using signatures. I have tried every manner of attachment in every manner of attaching.

Q - " Any attempt to do so results in the attachment placing itself at the bottom of the email, "

A - Once the Attachment is placed in the Body of the e-mail, juts Drag the Attachment to a new location in the Body of the e-mail

A - I use a Signature sometimes. Yes, the Attachment might be Below the Signature but Draging It to a new location always has worked in Big Sur and Monterey for me.

A - An Aside, regardless to where the attachment is located and depending on the Recipients e-mail Client - the Attachment may appear to them as a File Attchment and outside the Body of the e-mail. That is beyond the Control of the Sender ( you )

Sep 2, 2022 8:00 AM in response to PRP_53

Dragging once the attachment is attached does not work.

I've done all the tests and it just behaves this way no matter what. I've checked and re-checked all settings that could possibly affect this. I have eliminated signatures.

At this point I am going to rebuild all my mailboxes and see if that fixes it since clearly others are not affected.

Thank you though :-)

Sep 2, 2022 8:12 AM in response to westcountychick

westcountychick wrote:

At this point I am going to rebuild all my mailboxes and see if that fixes it since clearly others are not affected.

Please don't do that. It "rebuilds" by deleting everything and downloading it again from the server.

In Apple Mail, go to the "Edit" menu. Look for "Attachments". Is "Always insert attachments at end of message" checked?

Mac mail Attachments can no longer be embedded in the body of the email. They are defaulting to the bottom of the email after the signature. Even worse they go to the bottom of a thread.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.