Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Private Relay work with 1.1.1.1 Warp+ Unlimited in macOS Monterey 12.5.1?

Private Relay was working on my MacBook Air until a recent update (not sure exactly which one, I was in the Critical Care Unit of my local VA hospital for a month). Now I get an error message that says that my system settings are incompatible with Private Relay when I invoke 1.1.1.1 Warp+ Unlimited.

Any thoughts as to how to use both again?

Feel free to ask for more information as I'm not sure what other information is needed.

Thank you!

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 9:19 PM

iCloud+ Private Relay uses ODoH to Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 for DNS, so yes, your WARP+ settings (and what WARP+ Unlimited provides) are incompatible.

Details: https://www.apple.com/privacy/docs/iCloud_Private_Relay_Overview_Dec2021.PDF

And for completeness, neither WARP+ nor Private Relay provides a VPN. With iCloud+ Private Relay, ODoH protects part of the traffic, and HTTPS protects the rest. Within the Private Relay machinery, QUIC and its security is used. But outside that, and in addition to that within the relay machinery, it’s HTTPS, same as usual.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2022 9:19 PM in response to AlienMindTrick

iCloud+ Private Relay uses ODoH to Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 for DNS, so yes, your WARP+ settings (and what WARP+ Unlimited provides) are incompatible.

Details: https://www.apple.com/privacy/docs/iCloud_Private_Relay_Overview_Dec2021.PDF

And for completeness, neither WARP+ nor Private Relay provides a VPN. With iCloud+ Private Relay, ODoH protects part of the traffic, and HTTPS protects the rest. Within the Private Relay machinery, QUIC and its security is used. But outside that, and in addition to that within the relay machinery, it’s HTTPS, same as usual.

Sep 4, 2022 9:03 AM in response to AlienMindTrick

Hi AlienMindTrick,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

While we are certainly not experts with Cloudflare, it may not necessary to run both at the same time. The resource attached to your post has some great info about how iCloud Private Relay protects your privacy: About iCloud Private Relay

"How Private Relay works

Normally when you browse the web, information contained in your web traffic, such as your DNS records and IP address, can be seen by your network provider and the websites you visit. This information could be used to determine your identity and build a profile of your location and browsing history over time. iCloud Private Relay is designed to protect your privacy by ensuring that when you browse the web in Safari, no single party—not even Apple—can see both who you are and what sites you're visiting.

When Private Relay is enabled, your requests are sent through two separate, secure internet relays. Your IP address is visible to your network provider and to the first relay, which is operated by Apple. Your DNS records are encrypted, so neither party can see the address of the website you’re trying to visit. The second relay, which is operated by a third-party content provider, generates a temporary IP address, decrypts the name of the website you requested and connects you to the site. All of this is done using the latest internet standards to maintain a high-performance browsing experience while protecting your privacy."

This appears to be similar as what is posted on the Cloudflare site: Is the 1.1.1.1 app a VPN? – 1.1.1.1

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sep 4, 2022 8:36 PM in response to Barney-15E

1.1.1.1 with Warp+ Unlimited is a Cloudflare VPN. It had been working fine in conjunction with Private Relay but reading further on both Apple’s Support pages and Cloudflare’s support pages (thanks to helpful links sent in response to the same question posted elsewhere) reveals that Cloudflare built much (or most) of the infrastructure and engineered the code behind Private Relay and is an active partner with Apple in supporting it.

Thank you.

Does Private Relay work with 1.1.1.1 Warp+ Unlimited in macOS Monterey 12.5.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.