Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I prevent my phone from dimming with Auto-Brightness and True Tone turned off?

As the title may suggest, my True Tone and Auto-Brightness are already turned off. Low Power Mode and Night Shift have been turned off as well. I have already updated and that seemed to fix it only for a couple of days.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 12:30 PM

If your phone dims in direct sunlight there are a couple of things to check:

If the phone is in direct sunlight it can get very hot, so hot that it is in danger of shutting down if the phone detects it is overheating. So iOS will dim the screen to reduce the amount of heat generated by the screen. If you move the phone to the shade, or shade it with your body, that will usually solve the problem. 

One setting to check is Settings/Face ID & Passcode/Attention Aware Features. If this is enabled when you are not looking at the phone (that is, the phone can’t see your eyes) it will dim the screen. If you are in the sun you are probably wearing sun glasses, so the phone can’t see your eyes and it will dim the screen.

Finally, the phone will dim the screen a few seconds before the phone goes to sleep, as a warning. If this is the cause just tapping the screen will stop the shutdown.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2022 12:30 PM in response to Marmururerars

If your phone dims in direct sunlight there are a couple of things to check:

If the phone is in direct sunlight it can get very hot, so hot that it is in danger of shutting down if the phone detects it is overheating. So iOS will dim the screen to reduce the amount of heat generated by the screen. If you move the phone to the shade, or shade it with your body, that will usually solve the problem. 

One setting to check is Settings/Face ID & Passcode/Attention Aware Features. If this is enabled when you are not looking at the phone (that is, the phone can’t see your eyes) it will dim the screen. If you are in the sun you are probably wearing sun glasses, so the phone can’t see your eyes and it will dim the screen.

Finally, the phone will dim the screen a few seconds before the phone goes to sleep, as a warning. If this is the cause just tapping the screen will stop the shutdown.

How do I prevent my phone from dimming with Auto-Brightness and True Tone turned off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.