Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac continues to ask to update and reinstall iphone when it's already updated for the current software

Every time I connect my iPhone 11 Pro Max to my desktop Mac with Catalina 10.15.7 (I can no longer update to newer OS versions on this Mac) it again asks to reinstall my iPhone software. But my computer system says that the phone software is up to date. This started happening only recently.

It's mostly just annoying and doesn't seem to impede any operations otherwise for the Mac or the phone. No answers I've seen address this specific issue. I don't want to turn off all software updates just to stop this one issue. thnx

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 11:04 AM

Every time I connect my iPhone 11 Pro Max to my desktop Mac

Are you referring to this?

You may need to update the software on your Mac in order for it to recognise your iOS device. 

Click Install to download and install the software so your Mac can update or sync your iOS device.

It is just a small patch for macOS.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2022 11:04 AM in response to wmferrall

Every time I connect my iPhone 11 Pro Max to my desktop Mac

Are you referring to this?

You may need to update the software on your Mac in order for it to recognise your iOS device. 

Click Install to download and install the software so your Mac can update or sync your iOS device.

It is just a small patch for macOS.

Sep 3, 2022 1:24 PM in response to Raicya

Thank you.

Yes, that's it. I've clicked to install it repeatedly but it always says the update failed. My computer itself says "This version of the iPhone software (15.6.1) is the current version."

Yet, I get the attempt again and again, every time I plug the iPhone back in via USB. For better or worse, my late 2012 Intel Mac will no longer take overall system updates to Catalina 10.15.7.

I guess unless Apple fixes this for us with an older OS, I'll have to live with it.

Mac continues to ask to update and reinstall iphone when it's already updated for the current software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.