Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clean out unwanted files

I switched to my Mini (Monterey) and it had less storage space than my old iMac and and I had to squeeze it all in. I would like to reduce the amount of space it takes up on the HD. 

I think a large proportion of disk space is taken up by detritus from twenty years of hopping from one Mac to another using Migration Assistant. The executables are gone but all the other little orphan files are dispersed all over the hard disk. I have AppCleaner but that appears to only recognize the actual executables…or does it do more? Is there software that can clean out all the garbage left over from twenty years of use where the main program is missing, or should I start anew with a clean disk and add all my stuff (from backup) piecemeal to it? 

Mac mini, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 10:49 AM

iCloud is very good about saving and restoring personal settings. I haven't had to restore from backup when setting up a new machine in a long time. If you want to pay, iCloud Drive + Desktop & Documents will handle all of your data too.

If you did want to use a backup, then when you restore, you can pick the option to restore only user accounts and user data (I forget what it is called). Just don't restore applications or "other files". Then manually reinstall any apps that you want to use.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2022 10:49 AM in response to kennethfromfortbragg

iCloud is very good about saving and restoring personal settings. I haven't had to restore from backup when setting up a new machine in a long time. If you want to pay, iCloud Drive + Desktop & Documents will handle all of your data too.

If you did want to use a backup, then when you restore, you can pick the option to restore only user accounts and user data (I forget what it is called). Just don't restore applications or "other files". Then manually reinstall any apps that you want to use.

Sep 3, 2022 1:52 PM in response to kennethfromfortbragg

Below is IMHO so take it as such

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success and others have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Apple Silicon with either Big Sur macOS 11 or Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

6 - Should the user decides to " Remove All Content and Setting " this may be offered depending on the Exact Model and Year of this computer

How to clean out unwanted files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.