Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clean up Monterey install files

I'm currently using Catalina on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015).

I tried to install Monterey but failed with the "required firmware update cannot be installed". There is no urgency for me to have Monterey, and I'm busy, so I'd like to just forget about it for the time being.

However, the failed install ended up reducing my available hard disk space by around 24 GB.

• 12 GB of this was the "Install macOS Monterey" application. I deleted this and recovered that 12 GB.
  • The other 12 (or so) GB is unaccounted for. I want to know where these files and, and I want to delete them.
    • I've checked the Storage tool in "About this Mac", and it hasn't helped me.

Does anyone know what/where those files may be, and how I can delete them? Or, even simply a better tool than Apple's Storage inspecting application, one that might point those files to me.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 11:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 12:39 AM

Try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may free up some storage.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

After booting to Safe Mode boot normally and see if storage is recovered.

2 replies

Jan 9, 2022 1:49 AM in response to anroy

There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. 

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

How to clean up Monterey install files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.