Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to Monterey - Storage system verify or repair failed : (-69716)

Hello,

I tried to upgrade my iMac (5K, 3TB Fusion drive) from Catalina (fully updated) to Monterey,

but after about 30 minutes I got the message "Storage system verify or repair failed : (-69716)".

I searched this forum for advice and learned that it is recommended

to upgrade to Big Sur first (in safe mode), and THEN to Monterey.

I would like to try this, but the unfinished installation of Monterey has already

taken a lot of disk space/cache – where are these files/folders, so I can delete them?

Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 12:44 AM

How much free storage space do you not have? You need 26GB.

Do you still have the Monterey installer? It is located in the Applications folder. You can move that to Trash and empty the trash.

If you go to Disk Utility and make sure each entry is fully expanded (⌵ symbol points down ⌵ and not >. Also that in View (top center) is checked to show all devices. Take a screenshot of Disk Utility and post it here:\.

To take screenshot

Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

To add it to a reply

Click on the add image icon right below the test entry box

After clicking on the icon you are present with a Finder like windows. maneuver to find the image file you want to post and click on it and select Open in bottom right or double click on the image file to add the image in the text reply box.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2022 12:44 AM in response to coxorange

How much free storage space do you not have? You need 26GB.

Do you still have the Monterey installer? It is located in the Applications folder. You can move that to Trash and empty the trash.

If you go to Disk Utility and make sure each entry is fully expanded (⌵ symbol points down ⌵ and not >. Also that in View (top center) is checked to show all devices. Take a screenshot of Disk Utility and post it here:\.

To take screenshot

Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

To add it to a reply

Click on the add image icon right below the test entry box

After clicking on the icon you are present with a Finder like windows. maneuver to find the image file you want to post and click on it and select Open in bottom right or double click on the image file to add the image in the text reply box.

Apr 19, 2022 9:50 AM in response to lllaass

What @coxorange posted in the screen shot is normal. Nothing needs to be deleted.

I believe that snapshot com.apple.os.upd... on the Macintosh HD volume to be the Sealed System Volume snapshot, and must not be deleted. Even if you did delete it, in all likelihood no space would be reclaimed. The SSV snapshot is a read-only version of the of Macintosh HD volume, and is what macOS boots from. The underlying Macintosh HD volume does not get mounted to the operating system, and nothing gets written to it during normal operation. Since Macintosh HD does not change, no extra blocks are used to maintain the snapshot.

Macintosh HD will only be changed during OS maintenance (update/upgrade/security patches), and the installation process deletes and re-creates the SSV snapshot after the system update completes.

Apr 19, 2022 6:34 AM in response to lllaass

Thank you lllaass for your reply.

Originally I had about 130GB, after trying to upgrade I had about 90GB.

The Monterey installer was still there and I deleted it.

Some hours later, without doing anything else, the free space went up to about 130GB!

So I went in Safe Mode and installed BigSure – NO error 69716 anymore!

Before I do the next step, the upgrade to Monterey, I have a question:

My Disk Utility tree looks like this:

... and the expanded version:

Is this normal, i mean "Macintosh HD" greyed out, and beneath that...

– which looks temporary to me.

I double-checked the result of the upgrade and everything else looks fine.

Upgrading to Monterey - Storage system verify or repair failed : (-69716)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.