Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I restore old backup to retrieve files and then restore newer backup aftewards?

I want to retrieve the photos from a message thread on WhatsApp that I deleted in recent years. If I were to back up everything now, and then restore a back up from several years ago onto my phone, can I then retrieve the more recent/current backup after I were to download the photos I want form the old backup? (hope this is making sense).

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 3:34 PM

The only way to retrieve and restore any backup is to wipe the phone (Erase all content and settings in theSettings, general, Transfer or Reset menu).

That means once you restore the old backup you would need to export the photos elsewhere before wiping the phone and restoring the recent backup. You can't restore one backup on top of existing data.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2022 3:34 PM in response to rose-marie130

The only way to retrieve and restore any backup is to wipe the phone (Erase all content and settings in theSettings, general, Transfer or Reset menu).

That means once you restore the old backup you would need to export the photos elsewhere before wiping the phone and restoring the recent backup. You can't restore one backup on top of existing data.

Sep 4, 2022 3:34 AM in response to rose-marie130

Computer backups can be archived, (in Macs with right click) which I assume you did in order to have an old one . iCloud backups are generally single instance for each iphone name. Taking another backup in iCloud or computer from the same iPhone name (eg "Freds iPhone") will overwrite the existing one unless you archive the existing one. Or you can change the name of the device, but that is risky.

Can I restore old backup to retrieve files and then restore newer backup aftewards?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.