Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help finding iTunes library on external drive

Hi all. Just updated my iMac to Monterey, and I'm having trouble with iTunes (or is it Music now?) finding my music, all of which I store on an external hard drive. I've tried to "choose library" when launching Music, and I can see the library, but the iTunes folder is greyed out and I can't select anything.

I'm wondering if the files need to be organized differently on the external hard drive? Thanks in advance.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 7:01 PM

It shouldn't take too long, but some people do seem to have trouble with this particular build of Music for reasons that are as yet unclear. An alternative approach is to create a new empty Music library, then use File > Library > Import Playlist and import the iTunes Library.xml file (or iTunes Music Library.xml if that is newer). Unfortunately with this method you lose the original date added information.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2022 7:01 PM in response to wobblingsphere

It shouldn't take too long, but some people do seem to have trouble with this particular build of Music for reasons that are as yet unclear. An alternative approach is to create a new empty Music library, then use File > Library > Import Playlist and import the iTunes Library.xml file (or iTunes Music Library.xml if that is newer). Unfortunately with this method you lose the original date added information.

tt2

Need help finding iTunes library on external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.