Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't find the library files on my computer

I just moved from a Windows 10 tower to a new MacBook Pro. I moved the entire library of iTunes music over via external drive, but iTunes is only finding the entire library and playlists in the cloud. How can I get it to find my hard-drive. I want to be able to use the computer as music player even when I'm away from wifi.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 5:59 AM

Do you have the iTunes Library.itl library file on your external drive or access to it on the previous computer? See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. In general if you move the whole library and then use the option-start-Music method to open and convert the iTunes Library.itl database into the .musiclibrary format you should get all of the your musc, playlists, start & stop times, ratings, play counts, etc.

That said some people seem to have difficulties in Monterey with Music locking up and not completing the conversion process. See itunes library to music app - Apple Community for a thread where I've discussed workarounds.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2022 5:59 AM in response to natcase

Do you have the iTunes Library.itl library file on your external drive or access to it on the previous computer? See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. In general if you move the whole library and then use the option-start-Music method to open and convert the iTunes Library.itl database into the .musiclibrary format you should get all of the your musc, playlists, start & stop times, ratings, play counts, etc.

That said some people seem to have difficulties in Monterey with Music locking up and not completing the conversion process. See itunes library to music app - Apple Community for a thread where I've discussed workarounds.

tt2

Oct 24, 2022 7:52 AM in response to turingtest2

So yes, I copied the whole folder, including the .itl file, and have used it to create a new .musiclibrary file, and everything appears... but it's all the cloud copies, not the ones actually in the drive library. Virtually all of the library says I need to download it. That's the missing link: getting it to recognize the 158 GB of music that are living on the computer.

Oct 24, 2022 8:15 AM in response to natcase

Are you certain the .itl file imported correctly? As noted this has been an issue in iTunes 12.6. If you're signed into your Apple ID with a subscription to Apple Music or iTunes Match an empty library would show all of your cloud content. Switching from Windows to Mac also introduces some potential layout issues. If you want to send me your .itl file I can try converting it to .musiclibrary back on Catalina and send it back to you. Contact details in my profile.

tt2

can't find the library files on my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.