Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Options after MacBook Air returned with faulty keyboard

My mom is the original owner of a MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018) which should be covered under the "Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro".

Recently, the "e" key started to bounce and unexpectedly produce 2-3 characters with a single key stroke. However, the issue is intermittent and sometimes she can go 20 minutes without it occuring.

We made an appointment with the genius bar, who took the laptop and sent it in for repair. However, Apple was unable to replicate the issue, they stated that the repair was complete, and sent the laptop back with the same faulty key.

What can my mom do to prove that this fault exists, so that she can receive the repair she is rightfully eligible for?

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 6:57 PM

I was not being sarcastic. That is what I would tell them to do.

Why wouldn't they just repair the keyboard?

We cannot answer "why" questions. If they had experienced the problem, I would expect they would have repaired it.

There is a support number: 800-275-2273. Starts at tier 1 and you can ask to escalate.

There is no email address. Apple does not publish them.

My preferred way to escalate: do some research and find a VP in charge of whatever problem I am facing. write a letter via USPS to their corporate address. They may not reply, but if it is a well composed letter containing facts, they wil have someone reply to you.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2022 6:57 PM in response to New_User_11

I was not being sarcastic. That is what I would tell them to do.

Why wouldn't they just repair the keyboard?

We cannot answer "why" questions. If they had experienced the problem, I would expect they would have repaired it.

There is a support number: 800-275-2273. Starts at tier 1 and you can ask to escalate.

There is no email address. Apple does not publish them.

My preferred way to escalate: do some research and find a VP in charge of whatever problem I am facing. write a letter via USPS to their corporate address. They may not reply, but if it is a well composed letter containing facts, they wil have someone reply to you.

Sep 4, 2022 2:28 PM in response to John Galt

Who am I supposed to tell to do it right this time? The worker at the Genius Bar? They did their job, they were friendly and courteous. But after they take the laptop, communication ends.

The experience has been awful, my mom essentially feels like she has been accused of lying. But why would someone even lie about a problem like this? She is the original owner with proof of purchase.

Being told to just do the exact same thing we already did and hope for the best is not encouraging.

Sep 4, 2022 3:12 PM in response to New_User_11

Well, we are all other users here and have no way to influence Apple; unfortunately, things are sometimes not going the way you think they should. Problems which are intermittent are extremely difficult to reproduce. That does not mean that anyone is lying - it just did not show up when they had it on.

So, take it back and tell them to test it for several days with someone typing for at least 15 - 20 minutes each time.

Good luck!

Sep 4, 2022 3:51 PM in response to babowa

> So, take it back and tell them to test it for several days with someone typing for at least 15 - 20 minutes each time.

I know you're being sarcastic but that is what the problem is. Why wouldn't they just repair the keyboard? They're spending money to have someone sit and try to prove that the device is not faulty, just so they can send it back without conducting a repair. That isn't customer service, that is a customer disservice.

Is there not a number I can call, or customer facing email I can use to talk to someone who will make this right? I want to escalate the issue.

Options after MacBook Air returned with faulty keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.