Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A "partial" alternative to Photos

I could be rather satisfied of Photos, but it lacks few functions that in my opinion are necessary (i.e., possibility to move photos among albums, possibility to sort them according their size (or other), etc.).

On iPad, I could find a beautiful App called Slidebox, not perfect but far better than Photos, and I am forced to use it because I cannot find any similar for Mac.

Please, don't reply me Google Photos, Lightroom, XnView etc. I don't want to export my Library to individual files and then manage each of them or use a different cloud storage.

I just wish a better way to manage photos and albums INSIDE the Apple iCloud Photos archive. It seems impossible that nobody produces something like that for the Mac.

When I want to use Photoshop, I just export the selected image in a file and then work on it.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 11:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 11:10 PM

Was there a question? Feature requests go here:

Feedback - Photos - Apple

Other apps offer different possibilities. And, to be clear, your photographs are individual files within the library package, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Most folks use the 'Edit With' command to get to Photoshop. More simple.

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 4, 2022 12:14 AM in response to gbecattini

I am using PowerPhotos as a companion to Photos for Mac.

PowerPhotos can open my Photos Libraries in a separate window and show the photos in a nice list view, with the metadata in columns. With a simple click on the header of the column I can sort the photos by size. by the filename, or other criteria.

I can also move selected albums or folders between different libraries to back them up, even from the iCloud Photos Library. The free trial version can already be used as a second browser for photos, to merge libraries or find duplicates we have to purchase the full version.

For example:

When displaying the photos in a grid view, we can select, which metadata we want to display below the thumbnails, just like we could in Aperture. I just love PowerPhotos as a second browser.

I understand why you would want to move photos between albums, but it does not fit into the design of Photos, as it is intended to be used. There is no way to move photos between albums, as the albums in photos are not storing photos, but are just holding references to the photos. Each item is stored in the library only once, and many albums can hold references to the same photo or video. Albums and folders are an added layer on top of the basic library. Apple would have to alter the design of the Photos Library completely to allow us to move items between albums, like it has been in the events in iPhoto or projects in Aperture. Apple discarded this design in 2015, when Photos came out. Instead of letting the the users modify the basic library structure, and providing tools to make this possible, the basic design is now created automatically by the built-in artificial intelligence. We get the Days, Months, Years and several predefined albums automatically, the People album and Places album, the Media Kind album. And then we can add our own layer of thematic albums and smart albums, for our own projects. The general idea is, that we should only need a a few additional albums for the projects we are working on, as the predefined structure is giving us already many handles to find the photos by the date, the place, the people and the objects in them.

Sep 4, 2022 12:53 AM in response to léonie

Thank you very much for your suggestions and your time. I immediately tried Powerphotos.

Apart from frequent crashes (I tested it on a MacBook Pro i7 and a MacBook ProM2 and both crash), I noted that it does not allow to remove a photo from an album but only from the library. So if you put a photo in an album, you need to go back to Photo to remove it (if I did not understand something wrong).

I am a software developer and have well clear the reference concept. An album is, I think, just a set of references to the original items in the library. As you add or remove a link from an album, you could also move links between two albums, I believe.

The proof of that is that iPad Slidebox does it. I was looking for something that allowed me to do the same on the Mac, without having to use iPad every time I want to organize my albums.

Thanks however.

A "partial" alternative to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.