Photos in Apple

My disappointment in Apple Photos is EPIC. I don’t have time to figure this out. My phone, my IPAD, my IMAC, my iCloud. And ZERO instructions on how to organize photos other than: can make an album. Seriously?

Which is the “mother ship” of my photos library: the iCloud website: where I can’t even rearrange albums? Or, my phone? Or, my IPAD?

The only way to allow Twitter (social media) to access photos—is ALL (whole 45K)—or pull each photo from each album into Favorites? Can’t collect in albums and then move the albums over?

Back up to a hard drive: and then can never see the photos again. Can’t open the library on the MAC ONLY external drive I bought. IF you can get the 45K photos from 10 years of stockpiling to export to the hard drive.

I took time to move albums to “folders” but am not sure how this helps me: didn’t resolve my Twitter issue where I have to search through 50 unsorted albums to post the pix I want.

Seriously, my disappointment could not be greater. Has ANYONE found a book that explains the real techniques for managing photos on Apple devices? And if none exists: WHY?

Posted on May 29, 2023 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2023 5:28 PM

Photos works, roughly, on a database model.

If you're on the iPhone, it wants to keep your photos in the Camera Roll. Think of the Camera Roll as a special area that is not visible to Files, but that is visible to apps that have been specifically programmed to use the Camera Roll and that you have given permission to access it.

If you're on the Mac, it wants to keep your photos in the Photos Library. (There's an option to store originals outside of the Photos Library, but Photos is still going to need the Photos Library to track things and to store edited files. You can't use that option if you have iCloud Photos turned on, so let's ignore it for now.)

The Mac version of Photos is more open than the iPhone version, inasmuch as you can Export (File/Export…) copies of your photos to any place to which you have write access, and do what you please with those copies.

With the Mac version of Photos, if you want to use another editing program, you can often run it from Photos. That allows the other program to save changes directly back to the Photos database (even if the people who developed Photos don't want you messing around in that database and possibly breaking things).

On the iPhone, you would run another editing app that was Camera-Roll-aware.

If you use iCloud Photos, then all of your Macs, iPhones, and iPads which have iCloud Photos turned on, and that are connected to the same iCloud/AppleID account, will upload new original photos as soon as they get a chance. Each device will try to synchronize its Camera Roll (iPhone, iPad) or system Photo Libary (Mac) with what it sees as the master copy of your photo database, stored in iCloud, on Apple's servers.

Take a photo on your iPhone and it will show up on your Mac. Import a picture from a regular digital camera into your Mac's system Photos Library and it will show up on your iPhone.

iCloud IS the "mother ship" as far as the master copies of the photos are concerned.

You can set up your devices so that they will throw away full-resolution local copies of photos if they start running out of storage space. I've set preferences on my iPhone so that it can throw away full-resolution local copies, and set preferences on my Mac (which has much more storage space) so that it can't.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2023 5:28 PM in response to Henryt86

Photos works, roughly, on a database model.

If you're on the iPhone, it wants to keep your photos in the Camera Roll. Think of the Camera Roll as a special area that is not visible to Files, but that is visible to apps that have been specifically programmed to use the Camera Roll and that you have given permission to access it.

If you're on the Mac, it wants to keep your photos in the Photos Library. (There's an option to store originals outside of the Photos Library, but Photos is still going to need the Photos Library to track things and to store edited files. You can't use that option if you have iCloud Photos turned on, so let's ignore it for now.)

The Mac version of Photos is more open than the iPhone version, inasmuch as you can Export (File/Export…) copies of your photos to any place to which you have write access, and do what you please with those copies.

With the Mac version of Photos, if you want to use another editing program, you can often run it from Photos. That allows the other program to save changes directly back to the Photos database (even if the people who developed Photos don't want you messing around in that database and possibly breaking things).

On the iPhone, you would run another editing app that was Camera-Roll-aware.

If you use iCloud Photos, then all of your Macs, iPhones, and iPads which have iCloud Photos turned on, and that are connected to the same iCloud/AppleID account, will upload new original photos as soon as they get a chance. Each device will try to synchronize its Camera Roll (iPhone, iPad) or system Photo Libary (Mac) with what it sees as the master copy of your photo database, stored in iCloud, on Apple's servers.

Take a photo on your iPhone and it will show up on your Mac. Import a picture from a regular digital camera into your Mac's system Photos Library and it will show up on your iPhone.

iCloud IS the "mother ship" as far as the master copies of the photos are concerned.

You can set up your devices so that they will throw away full-resolution local copies of photos if they start running out of storage space. I've set preferences on my iPhone so that it can throw away full-resolution local copies, and set preferences on my Mac (which has much more storage space) so that it can't.

May 29, 2023 5:37 PM in response to Henryt86

Thank you, Kjaskais. I can see my albums in Twitter: but I have so many that I end up scrolling a lot to get thru to the one photo I’m looking for. Many of the 100 albums I have are personal: I’m never going to post anything from there on Twitter. So, I’m looking for a place to “store” my personal albums—while leaving albums that I use for comments on Twitter. Favorites doesn’t seem to allow you to identify entire ALBUMs as favorites: but rather to load individual photos.

I’m also concerned that even though I have iCloud sync ON—the albums on my phone, and my iPad, differ from those in the iCloud. If everything is synching automatically—why is that? Or does it only sync ORIGINALS?

Thanks,

Terri

May 29, 2023 5:42 PM in response to Servant of Cats

Thank you, Servant of Cats.

Thx for reassurance that ICloud is the “mother ship.” Although I have sync to iCloud on all my devices: I have a huge number of albums on my iPad that don’t show up in iCloud. I imported my husband’s apple photos from his Apple ID in the idea that I could back up a single copy of our family photos. His filing is ridiculous. Like a file folder for random days over 10 years with 2-3 photos in it. It truly gummed up my library.

And, I’ve backed up photos to an external drive: and now, can’t get the drive to open to show the photos are there. Leaving me to wonder how you back up your photos in event iCloud fails.

Having every photo ever taken in 10 years on my phone, iPad, iMac: is unwieldy. Isn’t there some way to move them to a storage location and access it later if need be? Or, is that too dangerous: as in, I did that on a hard drive that apparently can no longer be accessed.

May 29, 2023 5:43 PM in response to Henryt86

Photos albums are organizational tools. A photo can belong to several albums, and deleting a photo from an album doesn't automatically delete it from the Photos Library. Photos supports both regular albums - which you populate manually – and "smart albums" that automatically gather photos based on search critera.

Photos folders are groups of albums. It sounds like albums can live outside of folders, or can live within a particular folder, but cannot belong to multiple folders at the same time.

Neither are the same as Finder folders (subdirectories).

Then there are Memories – like the ones ("PET FRIENDS OVER THE YEARS") that my iPhone keeps creating without my asking it to do so.

May 29, 2023 6:09 PM in response to Henryt86

iCloud Photos storage should be pretty safe. I don't think Apple's going to pull the plug on iCloud Photos any time soon (although they are pulling the plug on the older, more limited iCloud Photo Stream). Assuming that Apple is following standard enterprise IT practices, Apple will be backing up things stored on their servers – and probably backing them up across multiple physical locations, so even a fire that consumed an entire data center might not be sufficient to wipe out the iCloud master copies of your photos.

That said, it doesn't hurt to have your own local backups (or backups stored with another cloud provider).

Photos in Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.