Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove downloaded iMessage attachments from Mac?

Hi, I'm using iMessages in iCloud so all my attachments are stored in iCloud. However, they are all currently downloaded on my Mac too, using 30GB of my limited storage. This Apple article explains how to download attachments to the Mac, but there doesn't seem to be a 'Remove Download' button, or an 'Optimise Mac Storage' option like other iCloud apps have. Is this intentional or where can I find these settings?

I assume deleting the attachments from my Mac's storage will also delete them within Messages in iCloud, which I do not want.

Thanks,

Dan

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 6:34 AM

Thanks David,

As I said I don’t want to delete any content from my Messages (I have 2TB iCloud Storage), just to not have it downloaded on my Mac (where I only have 256GB).

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 4, 2022 6:25 AM in response to danbigmacmeal

If you are synchronising Messages between your devices using iCloud then all changes will be made to all devices. That's what synchronisation does.

You can delete single images or content from your messages by right-clicking on the content in a message and selecting delete. However, as observed above, it will delete from all instances of the message.

Apple has some tips on saving space on a Mac in Free up storage space on your Mac.

When you say limited storage, do you mean on your computer or on you iCloud Drive? If the latter it might be time to consider subscribing to the 200GB plan rather than the 50GB plan. Content in the Messages app counts towards the use of your available space and it only increases unless you delete your messages. In my observation this isn't often done.

Remove downloaded iMessage attachments from Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.