Keeping Messages attachments in iCloud (and maybe on iPhone) but removing from Mac

Hi! The Storage page of System Settings shows that I have ~45 GB of the space on my Mac taking up by "Messages". When I click the little "i" on that page, it seems like they are all old videos or other attachments.

Am I good to delete these? I assume they are just local copies of files that are in the cloud and if I remove a copy on my computer, that file will remain in iCloud and/or on my iPhone. That would be a great outcome for me but I can't really find a clear answer.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 8:34 AM

As you mentioned .

Am I good to delete these? I assume they are just local copies of files that are in the cloud and if I remove a copy on my computer, that file will remain in iCloud and/or on my iPhone. That would be a great outcome for me but I can't really find a clear answer.

When you delete attachments from Mac Delete messages and conversations in Messages on Mac - Apple Support

Set how long to keep messages

1. In the Messages app  on your Mac, choose Messages > Settings, then click General.
  2. Click the “Keep messages” pop-up menu, then choose an option.
  3. Important: If you choose an option other than Forever, your conversations (including all attachments) are automatically removed after the specified time period elapses.

That file will remain in iCloud and/or on my iPhone when iPhone and Mac are signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network , the conversations are shared between them as messages box is turned on , so deleting conversations with its attachment will be deleted from Mac , iCloud and synced device iPhone .

See the article Access your messages on all your Apple devices - Apple Support

You can turn off Messages in iCloud on all your devices or on your Mac only.

1. In the Messages app  on your Mac, choose Messages > Settings, then click iMessage.
  2. Click Settings, then deselect Enable Messages in iCloud.
  3. Choose one of the following:
    • Disable All: Turns off Messages in iCloud on all your devices. Messages are no longer stored in iCloud and are instead stored on each device.
    • Disable This Device: Turns off Messages in iCloud on your Mac only. Messages on your Mac are no longer stored in iCloud; on any other device where Messages in iCloud is turned on, messages continue to be stored in iCloud.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2023 8:34 AM in response to Couchtime

As you mentioned .

When you delete attachments from Mac Delete messages and conversations in Messages on Mac - Apple Support

Set how long to keep messages

1. In the Messages app  on your Mac, choose Messages > Settings, then click General.
  2. Click the “Keep messages” pop-up menu, then choose an option.
  3. Important: If you choose an option other than Forever, your conversations (including all attachments) are automatically removed after the specified time period elapses.

That file will remain in iCloud and/or on my iPhone when iPhone and Mac are signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network , the conversations are shared between them as messages box is turned on , so deleting conversations with its attachment will be deleted from Mac , iCloud and synced device iPhone .

See the article Access your messages on all your Apple devices - Apple Support

You can turn off Messages in iCloud on all your devices or on your Mac only.

1. In the Messages app  on your Mac, choose Messages > Settings, then click iMessage.
  2. Click Settings, then deselect Enable Messages in iCloud.
  3. Choose one of the following:
    • Disable All: Turns off Messages in iCloud on all your devices. Messages are no longer stored in iCloud and are instead stored on each device.
    • Disable This Device: Turns off Messages in iCloud on your Mac only. Messages on your Mac are no longer stored in iCloud; on any other device where Messages in iCloud is turned on, messages continue to be stored in iCloud.

May 12, 2024 3:49 PM in response to Couchtime

I have the same problem. But it happened in a single day. I watch my hard drive memory and it’s always ~66gb. One day I try to restore an iPad, it glitches and fails. Then notice I have 44 extra gigs making my memory over 100 on my Mac hard drive. I contact Apple senior support. They have me erase everything. I end up permanently losing many files and videos. Then I contact them again and the person helping decided she won’t help anymore, or she quit. Now I’m waiting to take it to Apple Store….

Keeping Messages attachments in iCloud (and maybe on iPhone) but removing from Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.