Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store says password is incorrect even after changing it

hello, I have a problem logging in to the App store. I’m trying to download an App on my Macbook Pro (mid 2015 model) and every time it prompts me about using a wrong password when trying to login. I’m 100% sure im entering a correct one. I even changed it as it requested me to, however when entering the new one it still doesn’t work. The weird thing is that when doing so, my MacBook says the password is wrong, but I still get the notification on my iPhone about logging in on a new device with a two-factor authentication code. What can I do?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 9:09 AM

Have you tried restarting the computer? Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later. 

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account.  Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once. 

Safe Mode - About.    

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2022 9:09 AM in response to mlodykacper

Have you tried restarting the computer? Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later. 

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account.  Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once. 

Safe Mode - About.    

Sep 4, 2022 5:30 PM in response to mlodykacper

If you have changed your password, have you followed the steps in this article on all devices/computers?

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.  

A request for another Apple ID password is often caused by updates to apps/purchases that were made when using the other ID. Those purchases are tied to the other ID and can't be transferred. One option is to delete the apps/purchases made by the other ID and download them using the new ID if desired. After deleting the apps, it may be necessary to restart the device/computer before you can download the apps again. If necessary, check your purchases history to see which apps/purchases weren’t made by the current ID. 

Purchase History Review.  *

Sep 5, 2022 2:26 AM in response to Eric Root

Well, the MacBook I’m talking about has been used by an other person before, however I performed a drive sweep and reinstalled the OS. Also I’m trying to download an App that surely has never been downloaded on this device before, so i’m not sure if that would be the problem. Anyway I followed the steps from the article you linked, but that didn’t solve anything.

Sep 5, 2022 11:14 AM in response to Eric Root

First of all, thank You for replying and willing to help. Although I'm still not sure what the issue was exactly, it solved itself after I updated my MacBook to Monterey OS (which I had to do using an external .pkg file as I couldn't download anything from the AppStore). It was running on Yosemite before that, maybe it was just that it was a little outdated. Now I can login normally with no issues. AppStore and iCloud both work just fine.

Thanks again and have a nice day :)

App Store says password is incorrect even after changing it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.