Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screensaver no longer starts

Recently, my screensaver is no longer starting up after the 5 minutes idle time. I have restarted the computer and nothing changes. This began after installing macOS 12.5.1. Any ideas?

Mac mini, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 1:32 PM

Hello William M.,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with your screensaver. Next, what we would recommend, is testing this issue in another user account. What we need to do, is log out of your current user. Log back in under another Standard or Administrator account and see if the same issue occurs there. This way we can tell if it is an issue with your user account, or if it is system wide: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

If it occurs there, try starting up in safe mode to see if that resolves the issue: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

"Start up your Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.
  2. Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.
  3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.
  4. Select a volume.
  5. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
  6. The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Start up your Intel-based Mac in safe mode

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
  2. Log in to your Mac.
  3. You might be asked to log in again.
  4. On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Verify your Mac started up in safe mode

If you’re unsure whether your Mac started up in safe mode, you can use the System Information app to check the mode.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. In the System Information app, select Software in the sidebar.
  4. In the System Software Overview, look at the value listed next to the item labeled Boot Mode.
    • Safe: The Mac is using safe mode.
    • Normal: The Mac is not using safe mode."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2022 1:32 PM in response to William M.

Hello William M.,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with your screensaver. Next, what we would recommend, is testing this issue in another user account. What we need to do, is log out of your current user. Log back in under another Standard or Administrator account and see if the same issue occurs there. This way we can tell if it is an issue with your user account, or if it is system wide: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

If it occurs there, try starting up in safe mode to see if that resolves the issue: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

"Start up your Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.
  2. Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.
  3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.
  4. Select a volume.
  5. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
  6. The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Start up your Intel-based Mac in safe mode

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
  2. Log in to your Mac.
  3. You might be asked to log in again.
  4. On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Verify your Mac started up in safe mode

If you’re unsure whether your Mac started up in safe mode, you can use the System Information app to check the mode.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. In the System Information app, select Software in the sidebar.
  4. In the System Software Overview, look at the value listed next to the item labeled Boot Mode.
    • Safe: The Mac is using safe mode.
    • Normal: The Mac is not using safe mode."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sep 5, 2022 2:48 PM in response to William M.

You are not alone, I've got a 2019 retina iMac (Intel) and the latest update broke both screensaver and monitor sleep, neither work at all now and it just stays awake...is system wide since it happens with another logged in user too. Multiple restarts and resets haven't resolved it I'm just waiting for the next update to fix it hopefully.

Sep 6, 2022 12:28 PM in response to K_Faith

I agree with rsp8's reply above that the latest update seems directly related to the screensaver no longer functioning properly. But, I also tried logging in under a different admin account and the screensaver appeared to work again. I believe that would indicate that something is not compatible with the new macOS update. How do I go about determining what that is? I have almost 100 applications installed (not all running at once, of course). Suggestions, please.

screensaver no longer starts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.