Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility "Operation Failed with status 13" on M1-Mac but not on Intel-Mac?

Hi there,

In order to secure some of the old (vintage) DVD's I have, I have been looking for a way to convert them to disk images. With Disk Utility on my old (2015) intel Macbook Air it works (slowly), but with my M1Max 16"Macbook Pro I am getting "Operation failed with status 13: Permission denied" (when trying on exactly the same source DVD ...)

Is there somewhere a hidden security setting on M1's that I should be looking for so that it works the same as on the old machine?

Any feedback would be appreciated,

Philip

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 10:20 AM

pplanch wrote:

Hi there,

In order to secure some of the old (vintage) DVD's I have, I have been looking for a way to convert them to disk images. With Disk Utility on my old (2015) intel Macbook Air it works (slowly), but with my M1Max 16"Macbook Pro I am getting "Operation failed with status 13: Permission denied" (when trying on exactly the same source DVD ...)

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/a36996d8-d744-47a7-861f-c63a6763b612

Is there somewhere a hidden security setting on M1's that I should be looking for so that it works the same as on the old machine?

Philip

It is unclear what macOS you are running on the Intel "my old (2015) intel Macbook Air". so this makes for guess work.

You can verify on the M1 >System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Privacy you have given DiskUtility Full Disk Access— and compare your results...

Enabling Full Disk Access in macOS Mojave (10.14) and higher

If it no longer works as you would hope —

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2022 10:20 AM in response to pplanch

pplanch wrote:

Hi there,

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/a36996d8-d744-47a7-861f-c63a6763b612

Philip

It is unclear what macOS you are running on the Intel "my old (2015) intel Macbook Air". so this makes for guess work.

You can verify on the M1 >System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Privacy you have given DiskUtility Full Disk Access— and compare your results...

Enabling Full Disk Access in macOS Mojave (10.14) and higher

If it no longer works as you would hope —

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Sep 5, 2022 9:49 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for the suggestion.

For completeness sake (and also as mentioned in the tagging of this discussion): this is a Monterey related question. All of my machines are running latest updates (12.5.1).

Interestingly enough, on the intel Mac in the Full Disk Access settings Disk Utility is not even appearing and still it works there.

On the M1Max Mac I just added Full Disk Access for Disk Utility, even rebooted ... issue persists ... I guess it's going to be a bug report to Apple then ... (again ... the times of "It just works" seem to be behind us)

Thanks,

Philip

Disk Utility "Operation Failed with status 13" on M1-Mac but not on Intel-Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.