Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Rename One SSD?

I have got 3 USB 3.0 SSDs and 2 of them I can rename but the third I can't.

The 2 that are OK are a Samsung T5 1TB and a Crucial BX500 1TB in a Sabrent enclosure.

The one that refuses to be renamed is an old Crucial 275GB in an Orico enclosure.

I could rename it in Disk Utility but that would entail wiping it.

When I select its name on the desktop, it goes blue but refuses to go the extra step and let me input a new name.

Get Info doesn't allow me to alter any of the privileges even when I click the lock and input my password. It says I don't have permission.

Any ideas?

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 5:25 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 5, 2022 8:00 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

I have an external drive with an installation of Monterey in it, and I also cannot change the name in the Finder.

They may be due to there actually being two volumes, and perhaps renaming one would cause problems, but I really don't know.

I also have another older drive with an installation of Big Sur. Same thing. It seems that when a drive has a recent system install we can't rename it.

Sep 5, 2022 9:27 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I believe I have managed to rename some recent Catalina or newer macOS system or data volume via the Finder. But then the other volume did not change its name.

So to prevent obscure errors and confusion, I very carefully pick a persistent name for boot volume(s) when erasing them and do not try to change them later unless erasing them later.

Can't Rename One SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.