Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find 19 0f the 22 songs of a Compilation album I purchased through iTunes

I purchased the Album, a compilation (2016) and now only 3 of the 22 are available to me. I do't even see the rest of the songs. The option "show complete album" is there, but when I click on it nothing happens. Where are they and how do I get them back? The album is not available on iTunes anymore either. I never changed stores, I synced with a trial Apple Music which I have now cancelled as well. Now I don't know if this has happened before but I have no idea especially with older purchases but this is what I work out to, and I noticed about a week ago. Any help or insights are appreciated

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 12:57 PM

Vanessa,

Have you looked on your computer? Search for the files and see if they are still there somewhere, even if iTunes has lost track of them.

In general, when you purchase a track, you should download a copy to your computer and also make at least one backup. Since the track can be yanked from the iTunes Store at any time by the rights-holder, the ability to re-download cannot be assured, as you have seen. That is why it is recommended to keep your own copy.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2022 12:57 PM in response to Vanessavrolyk

Vanessa,

Have you looked on your computer? Search for the files and see if they are still there somewhere, even if iTunes has lost track of them.

In general, when you purchase a track, you should download a copy to your computer and also make at least one backup. Since the track can be yanked from the iTunes Store at any time by the rights-holder, the ability to re-download cannot be assured, as you have seen. That is why it is recommended to keep your own copy.

Sep 5, 2022 9:27 AM in response to Vanessavrolyk

The album is not available on iTunes anymore either.

Vanessa,

If the album has been removed from the iTunes Store, then the normal re-download option is not available. However, if you can find copies of the tracks that you previously downloaded you can still play them. Preferably you have a nice neat backup; if not, check your old computer, any copies left on a thumb drive, etc.

Sep 5, 2022 10:04 AM in response to ed2345

Thank you for answering. So if I understand correctly, media I purchase can randomly be unavailable for re-download if it's something I haven't played for a while and as such is not on my devices? So the money I paid to purchase the media is just gone? How come it's not in my library, maybe if you can help me with the appropriate setting I need or need to disable to prevent this from happening again I'd appreciate it! Thanks again!

Sep 5, 2022 1:11 PM in response to ed2345

So yeah, I managed to transfer them (sounds deceptively simple) from my old Mac to my Library on my new Mac and then I did download the complete library :( just in case.

Thank you for your helpful answers! I cannot believe this is something that can happen, who knows how many media I purchased that I might have 'lost' and not even know it! Not happy about this but at least I managed to recover this one album.

Can't find 19 0f the 22 songs of a Compilation album I purchased through iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.