Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone send me this file my mac won't open the DMG for it

Hello! Could someone here please send me the epic games launcher after being extracted from a DMG, for some reason mac fails to do it every time I try to mount the dmg for it so I was wondering if someone could please help me by sending me the .app of it? Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 4:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 5:47 PM

CuriousW wrote:

I don't think its the developer, my mac has had this problem with a lot of dmgs like for example with steam which I know works for other people.

That usually means one or more installed apps are causing data corruptions, or the file-transfer network path is corrupting the transfers, or there’s a hardware issue such as an HDD that’s failing.

Remove any installed first-few-hops add-on VPN client apps, remove add-on anti-malware apps, run diagnostics and verify hardware, etc., and try again.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2022 5:47 PM in response to CuriousW

CuriousW wrote:

I don't think its the developer, my mac has had this problem with a lot of dmgs like for example with steam which I know works for other people.

That usually means one or more installed apps are causing data corruptions, or the file-transfer network path is corrupting the transfers, or there’s a hardware issue such as an HDD that’s failing.

Remove any installed first-few-hops add-on VPN client apps, remove add-on anti-malware apps, run diagnostics and verify hardware, etc., and try again.

Sep 6, 2022 7:18 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Matti Haveri wrote:

Maybe the .dmg is HFS? The last version of the macOS that could read HFS was Mojave. For Catalina and newer, the disk format must be at least HFS+. AFAIR there are utilities that can read HFS also on newer macOS.

Newer macOS versions expect to boot APFS, yes.

HFS+ Extended Journaled external disks and DMGs read and write just fine on Monterey.

Officially: File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

There are myriad third-party HFS+ DMGs in use.

ISS would be able to hear the screaming, if that didn’t work.

Sep 9, 2022 9:46 AM in response to MrHoffman

I was talking about HFS (Mac OS Standard), not HFS+ (Mac OS Extended).

With the introduction of Mac OS X 10.6, Apple dropped support for formatting or writing HFS disks and images, which remain supported as read-only volumes. Starting with macOS 10.15, HFS disks can no longer be read.

So a HFS .dmg created in Mac OS 10.5.8 can be read in macOS 10.14.6 but not in macOS 12.5.1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_File_System

Sep 5, 2022 7:40 PM in response to CuriousW

If you can manage to download and get EtreCheck running here, we might be able to help (more) with this. Download and run that if you can, and then share the report to the clipboard, then open a new reply here and press the Additional Text button that looks like a printed page to get a text input box big enough to paste then hardware and software configuration report here, and paste it.

Sep 9, 2022 2:05 PM in response to Matti Haveri

Matti Haveri wrote:

I was talking about HFS (Mac OS Standard), not HFS+ (Mac OS Extended).

With the introduction of Mac OS X 10.6, Apple dropped support for formatting or writing HFS disks and images, which remain supported as read-only volumes. Starting with macOS 10.15, HFS disks can no longer be read…

Okay.

Though if both Epic Games and Steam are still using HFS DMGs and not HFS+, that would be lighting up the forums, given macOS 10.15 has been out for a little while.

That would also likely mean other latent issues await within an installer already incompatible with macOS 10.15 and newer, too.

Getting anything built on OS X 10.5.8 or earlier to run on Monterey would be somewhere between unusual and laudable; that was quite close to the start of the 64-bit API transition.

Still seems more likely some local problem exists here.

Can someone send me this file my mac won't open the DMG for it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.