Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.5.1 issues with HP printer

Hi, I have been using a HP Laserjet pro mfp m28w with my Macbook pro (M1) for a couple months now. Everything worked perfectly until I've updated to macOS 12.5.1. Now my computer sees the printer, but can't push any printing request to it. I tried to delete and re-add the printer though the system preferences; the computer detects the printer but when I try to add it, I end up getting that message: Unable to communicate with the printer at this time. Unable to connect to ‘HP LaserJet MFP M28w (9B081A)._ipps._tcp.local.’ due to an error.

I also tried to get it set up via HP Smart and HP Easy Start but it ends up the same way.

Resetting the devices didn't work either.

I am thinking it is probably a compatibility problem between the new OS and the printer, because printing from other devices works just fine (iPhone, iPad and even an older macbook air).

Any idea how I could get this fixed?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 9:58 PM

Hi,

The HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28w is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a printer supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. An AirPrint-enabled model is compatible with macOS, and can be used without additional drivers, provided that the printer and the Mac computers (and iPhones and iPads) are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint works with wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If there is a problem with AirPrint discovery for one or more devices, and all settings are OK, you could try the following full procedure (in this order):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the Mac computers, the iPhones and iPads, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the Mac computers. Power on the iPhones and iPads. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2022 9:58 PM in response to 22hugo22

Hi,

The HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28w is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a printer supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. An AirPrint-enabled model is compatible with macOS, and can be used without additional drivers, provided that the printer and the Mac computers (and iPhones and iPads) are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint works with wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If there is a problem with AirPrint discovery for one or more devices, and all settings are OK, you could try the following full procedure (in this order):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the Mac computers, the iPhones and iPads, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the Mac computers. Power on the iPhones and iPads. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Sep 11, 2022 7:19 AM in response to simplekindaguy

Thank you for the information.

Yes, since this affects printers in different locations, it appears to be a problem with the macOS 12.5.1 laptop in relation to the printers.

First of all, a USB connection would require printer drivers from the printer manufacturer (and I do not think such drivers are available for this printer model for macOS 12), and is not used for AirPrint here.

In order to work with the driverless AirPrint technology, the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M283fdw must be wirelessly connected (Wi-Fi) to the Wi-Fi router, or wired by Ethernet cable (to one of the LAN ports of the router). The Mac computer can use either Wi-Fi or Ethernet to that same router. The router must allow Bonjour/mDNS.

Would it be correct to assume that you used the exact reset method in Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)? Any old drivers/software for this printer on the computer could possibly cause difficulties.

Sep 11, 2022 2:05 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

On the same topic as above: my HP printers (MFP M283fdw) are indeed on AirPrint and detected. They work fine on my older Powerbook, but with the new laptop on OS 12.5.1 a print command crashes the printer, i.e. it restarts itself. This happens regardless of whether I try to print via cable or WiFi. Printing from a USB stick still works but is a crutch at best.

Note that I already ran a very recent firmware update on there printer.

Thanks for looking into this !

Sep 11, 2022 6:38 AM in response to simplekindaguy

Hi simplekindaguy,

It is always better to create a new topic in order to gain maximum attention.

Anyway, a few comments/questions:

a) You said "regardless of whether I try to print via cable or WiFi". By cable, do you mean an Ethernet printer connection to the Wi-Fi router (that is, not USB)? Is the macOS 12.5.1 computer wirelessly connected to the router?

b) Have you tried to reset the printing system (link above)? Have you tried the full power-cycle procedure (do not forget the router)?

c) Does this happen when trying to print from the macOS 12.5.1 laptop to all printers? How many printers, and are they all the same?

d) Any possibility of trying to isolate the problem by testing one printer at a time, if necessary, with another router? For this test, you could use the local side (LAN/WLAN) of almost any old/spare Wi-Fi router (the Internet/WAN side does not have to be connected).

e) BTW, a PowerBook would not be capable of using AirPrint (which would require at least Mac OS X 10.7 Lion).

Sep 11, 2022 6:48 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks for a quick reply, Jan!

a) "cable" means USB connection to the printer instead of WiFi

b) printers are in different locations; the problem is the same however, when using the new powerbook running 12.5.1 on any one of the printers. -- With the older laptops however, printing works fine. Each location has a different (totally different) router and provider. - I conclude this has nothing to do with WiFi or routers, but is likely a problem between OS12.5.1 and the printer.

c) Just now, I have (again) reset the printer list and reconnected the printer at my current location; and I have again crashed the printer.

d) I don't have a good strategy for narrowing down the problem. - Besides, HP provides an App called "HP Smart". When trying to print a pinter status report out of that app, I get an error message too. Other functions like recognizing the printer and its functions work fine, just like they do under the Mac OS.

I was thinking that some left-over bits of preferences or extensions from earlier versions might be a problem. However, I prefer not to meddle with those things in the absence of precise instructions. Any other ideas would be welcome, of course.

Gerhard

Monterey 12.5.1 issues with HP printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.