Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use a HP USB C power supply to charge my MacBook Pro

I do have 2 notebooks: 1 HP used at work and a MacBook Pro (personal use) that I purchased a week ago. In order to optimize my desk setup, I'm planning to use the power supply from HP laptop (65 watts) and charge my Mac via USB.

This way I can keep my MacBook charger in my backpack and avoid extra cables in my desk and 2 power supply connected.

Charging my Mac with a HP charger can harm my MacBook Pro? I couldn't find any specific information other than the one that MacBooks accept being charged via MagSafe port and USB C ports.

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 7:59 AM

I don’t see a problem with it provided it’s a high quality power supply. Apple specifically went with USB-C because of the flexibility. I’ve been using a 30W Apple adapter (MBA died after an unfortunate food incident) with a Lenovo where the captive cable failed on its 45W adapter. I used them interchangeably when both worked. Apple says it’s fine.

Charge your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

If your Mac has USB-C ports, you can charge your Mac with a USB-C charge cable and a USB-C power adapter or with a USB-C or Thunderbolt display that provides power. Your Mac charges over only one port at a time, so connecting multiple power adapters to the USB-C ports and MagSafe 3 port (if present) won't result in faster charging. If you connect more than one power source, your Mac charges only from the adapter or display providing the most power.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2022 7:59 AM in response to acantelli

I don’t see a problem with it provided it’s a high quality power supply. Apple specifically went with USB-C because of the flexibility. I’ve been using a 30W Apple adapter (MBA died after an unfortunate food incident) with a Lenovo where the captive cable failed on its 45W adapter. I used them interchangeably when both worked. Apple says it’s fine.

Charge your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

If your Mac has USB-C ports, you can charge your Mac with a USB-C charge cable and a USB-C power adapter or with a USB-C or Thunderbolt display that provides power. Your Mac charges over only one port at a time, so connecting multiple power adapters to the USB-C ports and MagSafe 3 port (if present) won't result in faster charging. If you connect more than one power source, your Mac charges only from the adapter or display providing the most power.

Sep 6, 2022 7:20 AM in response to acantelli

My opinion is use the correct charged provided by the maker ... HP or Apple.

Using chargers not designed for a device and not knowing the electrical characteristics of them is an invitation to trouble. Do you really want to risk relatively high investments all for the sake of not seeing a second charging cable on your desktop?

Use a HP USB C power supply to charge my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.