Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone won't charge or connect to my iMac

Why does my iPhone XR not charge when connected to my iMac? It charges when connected to a wall charger with the same cable. When connected to my iMac, it makes a pulsating sound/vibration and slowly drains the battery. The device will not show up in iTunes. I cannot make a wired backup to my computer or load iTunes music, charge, etc. to my iPhone. I was having the same problem with my iPhone 7, but was able to eventually get it to work. The iPhone XR will not connect or charge at all.

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 9:07 PM

Hi, and Welcome to the Apple Community.

Wondering which iOS version is installed on your iPhone XR,

and which iMac model (year) you have,

and which Mac OS version is on the iMac.

Re: "The iPhone XR will not connect or charge at all. "

You might need to check this article carefully, and also ensure the cable meets requirements:

Connect iPhone and your computer with a cable – Apple Support

(NB: Also: says you need :

"Mac with a USB port and OS X 10.9 or later")

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Re: "Why does my iPhone XR not charge when connected to my iMac?"

and

"slowly drains the battery"

Apple Support's article: Charge the iPhone battery – Apple Support

says:

Connect iPhone and your computer with a cable.

Eg:

✽ Make sure your computer is turned on—if iPhone is connected to a computer that’s turned off, the battery may drain instead of charge. Look for  on the battery icon to make sure your iPhone is charging.

Note: Don’t try to charge your iPhone by connecting it to your keyboard, unless your keyboard has a high-power USB port.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Re: The device will not show up in iTunes

Make sure your iTunes is the latest version: Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

and

What to do: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Re: "cannot make a wired backup to my computer"

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch with your Mac – Apple Support

Eg. says:

On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later : Back up with the Finder

Re: " I was having the same problem with my iPhone 7, but was able to eventually get it to work"

Sometimes it may be that the software on Mac and / or iPhone needs updating to the latest versions.

All the best :-)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2022 9:07 PM in response to Community User

Hi, and Welcome to the Apple Community.

Wondering which iOS version is installed on your iPhone XR,

and which iMac model (year) you have,

and which Mac OS version is on the iMac.

Re: "The iPhone XR will not connect or charge at all. "

You might need to check this article carefully, and also ensure the cable meets requirements:

Connect iPhone and your computer with a cable – Apple Support

(NB: Also: says you need :

"Mac with a USB port and OS X 10.9 or later")

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Re: "Why does my iPhone XR not charge when connected to my iMac?"

and

"slowly drains the battery"

Apple Support's article: Charge the iPhone battery – Apple Support

says:

Connect iPhone and your computer with a cable.

Eg:

✽ Make sure your computer is turned on—if iPhone is connected to a computer that’s turned off, the battery may drain instead of charge. Look for  on the battery icon to make sure your iPhone is charging.

Note: Don’t try to charge your iPhone by connecting it to your keyboard, unless your keyboard has a high-power USB port.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Re: The device will not show up in iTunes

Make sure your iTunes is the latest version: Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

and

What to do: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Re: "cannot make a wired backup to my computer"

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch with your Mac – Apple Support

Eg. says:

On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later : Back up with the Finder

Re: " I was having the same problem with my iPhone 7, but was able to eventually get it to work"

Sometimes it may be that the software on Mac and / or iPhone needs updating to the latest versions.

All the best :-)

iPhone won't charge or connect to my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.