Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple phone support doesn't recognize my keypresses

Several times now, on various dates over several months, I've had this experience:

I use Apple's Support iPhone app to request help on some issue. One of the options I'm offered is phone support. I choose this, and am told I'll be called on my phone.

A short time later, I get a call from Apple's support center in Austin, TX. The automated voice asks me to press 1 if I'm ready to speak. I do press 1, but the automated voice then says, "I don't hear anything." I try pressing 1 again. Same results. The automated voice then says it will try back later, and hangs up. When it does call back, the result is exactly the same as the above.

What would the problem be? I use keypresses on my iPhone 7 all the time with various other companies and organizations that I call. Is there a workaround that would enable me to get phone support from Apple? If nothing else, how do I report this to Apple so that someone in a position of fixing it can do so?

iPhone 7

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 8:44 PM

Similar questions

13 replies

Oct 6, 2022 10:21 AM in response to FrankO23

I use the iPhone 6S as a spare iPhone, if the iPhone I'm using now breaks 'unexpectedly' or if I lose it.

I have a Duo Sim card (with the same phone number) from my carrier, kept somewhere.

It really is a spare iPhone for an emergency.

Have also a prepaid card from another carrier in a different brand of smartphone.

Have always bought my iPhones directly from Apple.

Check here: iPhone - Buying iPhone - Apple

Will my new iPhone be unlocked?

Every iPhone you buy from us online or in an Apple Store is unlocked, with the exception of a few carrier financing options. With an unlocked iPhone, you’re free to go with the carrier of your choice.

iPhone 14 Pro -iPhone 14 Pro Max -> iPhone 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max - Technical Specifications - Apple (UK)

Sep 11, 2022 3:19 PM in response to FrankO23

I kept my 'old' iPhone 6S here as a spare, no SIM card and updated to iOS 15.6.1

If you have already paid off the iPhone 7, the iPhone 7 is yours.

You have to check your contract, normally such a contract lasts 2 years, depending on. . ., contact your carrier (Verizon).

Is there anything good to read on how purchase of a new phone from Apple would work?

Check here: iPhone - Buying iPhone - Apple

Will my new iPhone be unlocked?

Every iPhone you buy from us online or in an Apple Store is unlocked, with the exception of a few carrier financing options. With an unlocked iPhone, you’re free to go with the carrier of your choice.

I'd be wanting to keep my existing provider and phone number.

Then you can keep your existing provider and phone number,

Let Verizon know that you want to keep your number and ask for a SIM only plan / subscription.

Sep 11, 2022 2:48 PM in response to Raicya

Interesting, I didn't know that was possible. I assume that if I did that, the iPhone7 would be deactivated, and would need to be reactivated if I needed to use it as a backup? Is there anything good to read about how that works?

Also -- when I bought my iPhone 7, I bought it as part of a package from my service provider, Verizon. I don't think I've ever bought a phone directly from Apple and then had it activated with a provider. Is there anything good to read on how purchase of a new phone from Apple would work? I'd be wanting to keep my existing provider and phone number.

Oct 6, 2022 9:57 AM in response to Raicya

Raicya wrote:

I kept my 'old' iPhone 6S here as a spare, no SIM card and updated to iOS 15.6.1

Just a couple of follow-up questions, if that's ok ...

When you say you kept your iPhone 6S as a spare with no SIM card, does that mean that if/when you use it now, that would be without cellular service? I'm just about ready to buy an iPhone 14 Pro, and am thinking I'll keep my iPhone 7. Since the iPhone 14 Pro is eSIM-only, it seems there wouldn't be a SIM card I could move from the 14 Pro to the 7.

My other question ... I need to make a final decision on whether to buy the 14 Pro from Apple and get a SIM-only plan from Verizon, vs. buy the phone from Verizon. Are there any benefits of buying directly from Apple that I should be aware of? Is the warranty coverage any different? (I'm not in the iPhone Upgrade program, and don't see myself doing that.)

Thanks again,

Apple phone support doesn't recognize my keypresses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.