Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air M2 keeps Crashing

This has been going on for a month. I have been an advanced computer user for 30 years and I have never seen anything like this. I'm not at my wit’s end, but I'm getting there!

It appears to crash when I''m doing something video related, for example: Skype or YouTube.

I always send a report to apple in the hope that a patch will address this. My computer must be famous in Cupertino now, LOL!

A Tier one tech suggested I create a test account with 0 apps loading. We did that, but no joy.

I had an idea that doing a clean reinstallation of OSX Monterey might do the trick. A very patient Tier 2 Apple engineer and yours truly did the reinstallation, but It's still being obstinate.

I have tried safe mode and testing 5 different browsers, but even ancient, stable, Safari crashes!

I did the hardware diagnostics and nothing is amiss, so returning the computer to Shanghai will not

help at this point.

My untrained, very amateurish hypothesis is that I forgot that whether it's a car or a computer, you should never be the first to order the shiny new, latest greatest product. There is a reason why it's called being on the bleeding edge. Software developers have not optimized their apps yet for the new m2 chip, and Apple has to be given some time to analyze the various crash reports and make the necessary changes to Monterrey.

However, there is a wise saying which goes like this: The last thing to die is Hope! I am hoping that someone out there with an M2 has had the same problem and can share how they fixed it.

If you can help me, My wife will personally thank you, as she can't Skype with her sister in Europe without rebooting several times.

God Bless You!

NKwireing Mind

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 4:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 5:20 AM

Post the crash report in a reply to this Discussion. It might not indicate anything anyone on this site can act upon, but it's better than guessing.

I'm curious, after all that testing and apparent interest on Apple's part, what actions did they recommend? I was expecting more to your story but it ended unexpectedly. It seems to me they should have said "that's all we can do, may we make a Genius Bar appointment for you" or something like that.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2022 5:20 AM in response to NKwireingMind

Post the crash report in a reply to this Discussion. It might not indicate anything anyone on this site can act upon, but it's better than guessing.

I'm curious, after all that testing and apparent interest on Apple's part, what actions did they recommend? I was expecting more to your story but it ended unexpectedly. It seems to me they should have said "that's all we can do, may we make a Genius Bar appointment for you" or something like that.

Sep 8, 2022 5:40 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks for the reply, John. We don't have an official Apple Store in our Mexican beach town, but there is an Apple affiliate here. I know one of the sales techs, a very nice young man, I will WhatsApp him today.

I tried to paste the crash log, but it exceeds the permitted size. I will try and figure out how to make it into a file and attach it ASAP

Sep 8, 2022 5:55 AM in response to NKwireingMind

From the crash report it is evident WindowServer crashed, but since that process is responsible for drawing literally everything on a Mac's screen isolating the cause is not possible. All we can do is speculate and that won't help fix what's wrong.

My inclination is that it is not a hardware problem although there is no guarantee of that. You are already running the latest macOS version, but be sure to keep it updated in the event Apple corrects a defect in macOS.

It's going to need a hands-on inspection. Let us know what the AASP determines.

Macbook Air M2 keeps Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.