Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If a docx file in the finder does not find MS Word, will it open in pages?

?I am thinking of getting rid of MS office. I'm comfortable with the Apple suite. It gives me everything I need. One question, though. If MS Word is removed from my computer, will Finder automatically open Pages if I click on a docx file? If not, is there a way to associate Pages as the preferred app for doc and docx files?

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 3:33 PM

In Finder, select (highlight) any docx document and then use the Finder File menu > Get Info and in the Open With section of that window, change Word to Pages and then click the "Change All" button.

Note that Pages will open Word documents but may not format everything well. Personally, if I wasn't using Word I would use LibreOffice rather that Pages but you may have a reason to prefer Pages.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2022 3:33 PM in response to Jim Lewis

In Finder, select (highlight) any docx document and then use the Finder File menu > Get Info and in the Open With section of that window, change Word to Pages and then click the "Change All" button.

Note that Pages will open Word documents but may not format everything well. Personally, if I wasn't using Word I would use LibreOffice rather that Pages but you may have a reason to prefer Pages.

If a docx file in the finder does not find MS Word, will it open in pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.