Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having to force quit Mail recently

I dont know why, but I have been having to force quit the mail app recently. If I just quit it normally, it does close buts its still running in the background. But whats worse is that if I do quit it normally, and then open it back up, the window doesnt pop up, however the toolbar does change as you click open the application and so you get all the options in the menu/toolbar for the mail app.

I know, confusing right.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 3:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 4:19 AM

Shields_MCMXCIX wrote:

I dont know why, but I have been having to force quit the mail app recently. If I just quit it normally, it does close buts its still running in the background. But whats worse is that if I do quit it normally, and then open it back up, the window doesnt pop up, however the toolbar does change as you click open the application and so you get all the options in the menu/toolbar for the mail app.

I know, confusing right.

Command Q will quit the app if running.

Command 0 (command zero) will open a new message viewer window if you used the red pill button to close the window. If the application is still running this you can see using the heads up display (Command Tab)

If you still have an issue launch Mail.app holding the Shift key— for a bit of a cache clearing when opening.

If still no resolve— reboot into Safeboot for a system cache clearing...

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2022 4:19 AM in response to Shields_MCMXCIX

Shields_MCMXCIX wrote:

I know, confusing right.

Command Q will quit the app if running.

Command 0 (command zero) will open a new message viewer window if you used the red pill button to close the window. If the application is still running this you can see using the heads up display (Command Tab)

If you still have an issue launch Mail.app holding the Shift key— for a bit of a cache clearing when opening.

If still no resolve— reboot into Safeboot for a system cache clearing...

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Having to force quit Mail recently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.