Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS partition isn't working properly

Today I was deleting a partition from my MacBook that I thought was completely unrelated to my MacOS system, when a diskutil error popped up. Almost immediately my Mac rebooted and the System i was working on seemed completely gone, so much so that the machine rebooted in internet recovery mode.

There I installed a new macOS system on another partition (the one i was trying to delete) and ran diskutil list from there.

The result was this:

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *251.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI ⁨EFI⁩                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2: FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF ⁨⁩              177.3 GB   disk0s2
                    (free space)                         11.4 GB    -
   3:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk1⁩         62.0 GB    disk0s3

as you can see, my new macOS volume is just fine (disk0s3) but the original macOS volume (disk0s2) turned from APFS to FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFF, and in my opinion this means that I need to reset it to apfs. I also checked with a Recovery third party app and all the files are still there, meaning that all the data is just under a layer of "unknown file system" that prevents my mac from reading it. I saw another guide here to solve a similar issue (this thread) but I'm too illiterate to solve anything adapting to a different system with two SSDs each running different things. Any help would be really appreciated. Peace out.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 8:56 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 10, 2022 9:04 AM in response to michelefrombrescia

Hmmm, hopefully you have a backup & can erase the drive & start over.

Here's my Internal Catalina Drive...

/dev/disk4 (synthesized):

#:            TYPE NAME          SIZE    IDENTIFIER

0:   APFS Container Scheme -           +1.0 TB   disk4

Physical Stores disk0s2, disk1s2

1:        APFS Volume Macintosh HD      11.2 GB  disk4s1

2:        APFS Volume Macintosh HD - Data   672.0 GB  disk4s2

3:        APFS Volume Preboot         84.4 MB  disk4s3

4:        APFS Volume Recovery        529.0 MB  disk4s4

5:        APFS Volume VM    

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/12/16/boot-disk-layout-in-macos-monterey/

Sep 10, 2022 9:12 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes I have a backup but it’s pretty old and I would like to recover some new files that are still there (the aforementioned recovery tool found the data in the broken partition). I followed some of the steps of the linked thread but it just exited with error 1 (maybe because I’m on the same disk as the volume that I’m trying to set to APFS?)

MacOS partition isn't working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.