Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPod Pro 2 NRR?

In the Far Out Event (timestamp 44 minutes) they talk about the AirPods Pro 2 and the Adaptive Transparency sampling the external environment 48,000 per second to help reduce any harsh noise you are exposed to like Construction Equipment.

Ok, that's all fine and good. I wear mine first gen AirPod Pro's while doing yard work. But, will the new AirPod Pro 2 work effectively at an indoor gun range and if so, what is the NRR for the AirPod Pro 2? Anything better than 22 is acceptable, although anything over 30 is preferred.

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 5:14 PM

User to user support forum.

We don't have any access to information that you don't have.

The Airpods Pro of any generation are headphones, they are not sold as or meant to be hearing protection.

At a gun range, use something designed for the environment and meant to be hearing protection.

3 replies

Sep 22, 2022 1:37 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Most definitely would not do you any good at an indoor range. I usually double up foamies and over the head ear pro when indoors. I have used the original AirPod pros outdoors and they don’t cut it either and I was shooting suppressed.

I did find this info about the original AirPod pros

“They provide a 5 dB noise reduction at 500 Hz, 10 dB at 1000 Hz, 15 dB at 2000 Hz” from what I could find gunshots db peak at the 800-1000Hz. So if apple says they have doubled the noise cancellation than let’s say it’s now around a 20db reduction for a gunshot. So shooting a 556 usually meters around 160 db if we take off 20 that would be around 140db which is on the edge of hearing damage according to osha. Not looking great but if your outdoors and shoot suppressed or a handgun it might be worth a try🤷

Sep 22, 2022 1:42 PM in response to Burnsaa

We both have good electronic headphones for the range - 28 and 31 rating for both of us. We had no intention of using them for the range, but they way they were presented in the announcement, they made it sound like they could handle it (I know some construction equipment is as bad as range levels). My wife jokingly said "I can use them on the range" and I know she would not since she has a good set of hearing protection now, but I just wanted to make sure. And yes, a 556 even suppressed is not that quiet. . .

AirPod Pro 2 NRR?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.