Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music : Disappearance of Songs and Albums

On opening Music, I can no longer see any of my accumulated music files, except the (now infamous) U2 download Songs of Innocence. Note that I have not purchased any music directly from Apple and do not use iCloud storage.

(1) Where are the songs and albums stored on my Mac Studio machine?

(2) Can the songs and albums be restored readily with Time Machine?

(3) How can this situation be avoided/protected against in future?

Thanks, in advance, for any guidance!

Mac Studio, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 12:58 AM

Mac_Studio_User_WA_AU Said:

"Apple Music : I seem to have located a fair proportion of my music files and songs under: Music > iTunes > iTunes Music which is promising! I guess the next step is to make sure that Music is automatically linking to that folder somehow."

-------

Create a Playlist:

You cant sync to another folder, and then play off it, by default.. Every time you want to play a desired file, you can open the file, So, you might be able to create a playlist for this. See here: How to Make a Playlist in the Apple Music App - Apple Support. Try it, reporting back if it works.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2022 12:58 AM in response to Mac_Studio_User_WA_AU

"Apple Music : I seem to have located a fair proportion of my music files and songs under: Music > iTunes > iTunes Music which is promising! I guess the next step is to make sure that Music is automatically linking to that folder somehow."

-------

Create a Playlist:

You cant sync to another folder, and then play off it, by default.. Every time you want to play a desired file, you can open the file, So, you might be able to create a playlist for this. See here: How to Make a Playlist in the Apple Music App - Apple Support. Try it, reporting back if it works.

Sep 11, 2022 12:20 AM in response to Mac_Studio_User_WA_AU

"Apple Music : Disappearance of Songs and Albums: On opening Music, I can no longer see any of my accumulated music files, except the (now infamous) U2 download Songs of Innocence. Note that I have not purchased any music directly from Apple and do not use iCloud storage."

-------

Troubleshooting Lost Music:

Why they may be Missing and How to Retrieve them:

• Removed from iTunes Library:

Sometimes, items become removed from the iTunes library, and they never become accessible again. It all has to do with licensing between Apple and the Music Studio.

• Unhide these Purchases:

Perhaps these have become Hidden Purchases? To see if that is the case, unhide them.

Sep 11, 2022 12:46 AM in response to Mac_Studio_User_WA_AU

"Apple Music : Thanks for the reply. The songs and albums were not purchased and are not Hidden Purchases. In relation to 'Removed from iTunes Library', when you refer to the Music Studio, do you mean the music publishers (e.g. EMI)?"

-------

You are welcome.

Publishers as "Music Studio":

I am referring to the Album or Song. However, if a music studio is no longer associated with Apple(EMI), then you will not be seeing these items.

Apple Music : Disappearance of Songs and Albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.