Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts not removing or merging duplicates. There are lots of them/

Why does the "look for duplicates" function not work. It always returns "no duplicates found"? Somehow using iCloud and Google has made dozens of duplicate cards on my MAC. My MOS is Big Sur and it says it is up to date.

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 2:27 AM

The functionality of Contacts application will Merge Duplicate contact information for contact information stored " On My Mac " and " iCloud " .

The definition of " On My Mac " being as the name implies, Stored On the Computer itself and iCloud as being the Apple Service on iCloud.

Now, when the Source of the Contacts information is also Synced to Third Party Services like Google - that will change things dramatically.

As a TEST ONLY, in the application Contacts, Untick Google from the Source to sync Contacts.

This will leave only iCloud as the one and only source to sync the Contacts application.

What happens ?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2022 2:27 AM in response to mchris65

The functionality of Contacts application will Merge Duplicate contact information for contact information stored " On My Mac " and " iCloud " .

The definition of " On My Mac " being as the name implies, Stored On the Computer itself and iCloud as being the Apple Service on iCloud.

Now, when the Source of the Contacts information is also Synced to Third Party Services like Google - that will change things dramatically.

As a TEST ONLY, in the application Contacts, Untick Google from the Source to sync Contacts.

This will leave only iCloud as the one and only source to sync the Contacts application.

What happens ?

Contacts not removing or merging duplicates. There are lots of them/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.