Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes will not play videos with 4k monitor

After getting a new 4k monitor for my PC, watching videos through itunes have stopped working, the video will play for a few seconds and freeze but the audio will continue. I've looked up solutions, but there's not much. I re-installed itunes after completely clearing the reg files, and it still does not work.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 6:23 PM

Hey Snackynak.

There may be a few reasons for this behavior. Are you streaming these videos or are you playing them from your computer? This could be an important factor. Also, was your previous monitor 4K as well or was it a lower resolution? Higher resolution content is much larger when streamed so that could be a factor as well. The "If the video quality is bad or it stops playing" section of If you can't watch or stream movies and TV shows in the Apple TV app lists a few steps or bits of information that may be helpful:

1. "If multiple people on your network are using the internet, your connection speed might slow down. Ask them to temporarily pause their internet activities.
  2. If you're using a smart TV or streaming device, turn it off and back on again. If you're using an Apple device, restart it.
  3. Tap or click the download button to try downloading the movie or TV show instead."

If those steps don't help, Get Support directly from Apple here.

Take care.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2022 6:23 PM in response to Snackynak

Hey Snackynak.

There may be a few reasons for this behavior. Are you streaming these videos or are you playing them from your computer? This could be an important factor. Also, was your previous monitor 4K as well or was it a lower resolution? Higher resolution content is much larger when streamed so that could be a factor as well. The "If the video quality is bad or it stops playing" section of If you can't watch or stream movies and TV shows in the Apple TV app lists a few steps or bits of information that may be helpful:

1. "If multiple people on your network are using the internet, your connection speed might slow down. Ask them to temporarily pause their internet activities.
  2. If you're using a smart TV or streaming device, turn it off and back on again. If you're using an Apple device, restart it.
  3. Tap or click the download button to try downloading the movie or TV show instead."

If those steps don't help, Get Support directly from Apple here.

Take care.

Sep 13, 2022 10:15 PM in response to Brian_P7

Ok, downloading the video does work, not sure why I didn't try that before. Still not sure why I can't stream the video directly though, my internet is fine, I can stream 4k videos from other places. On top of that, I'm pretty sure the itunes app doesn't stream in 4k, the video quality is 740 or 1080p whether you download it or stream it on a PC.

My computer specs:

intel i9-12900K

32 GB Ram

RTX 3080

Sep 14, 2022 6:54 AM in response to Snackynak

Greetings Snackynak,

To clarify here, is this issue only with purchased content?

If so then we can try the following steps on the PC:

1. Quit iTunes.
2. Press the Windows key on your keyboard. If your keyboard doesn't have a Windows key, press the Control (Ctrl) and Escape (Esc) keys on your keyboard.
3. Click on the magnifying icon or search field. In the search box, type %ProgramData%, then press the Return key.
4. Show any hidden files:
Windows 10: Click View, then select "Hidden items."
Windows 8: Click View, then click Options. On the View tab, select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives."
Windows 7: Click Organize, then "Folder and search options." On the View tab, select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives."
Open the Apple Computer folder, then the iTunes folder.
5. Delete the adi and SC Info folders: Right-click each folder and choose Delete from the menu.
6. Restart your computer.
7. Open iTunes and test.

Hope that helps!

iTunes will not play videos with 4k monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.