Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excel for Mac ‘crash?’ file “cannot be found”

I am running Mojave and Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac.

Everything works perfectly but today I opened up a spreadsheet which I use daily and I got a window which at the top said:

“Cannot find <file name removed>(version1).xlsb copy from:”

Gives the option to Cancel and then the real file (<>.xlsm) which opens seemingly without a problem.

This happens every time I now open this file.

I have restored from TimeMachine, Shutdown/Started and booted in Safe Mode but still get the same window saying “Cannot find <file name removed>(version 1).xlsb copy from:”

I copied the file to another User and it opens up perfectly OK.

I have searched for this missing file and cannot find it anywhere (including hidden files).

I suspect it is a file that is created when the system crashes and needs to be deleted. I do not believe the system has crashed etc.

Where is this missing file or is there another solution?

iMac

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 1:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 5:54 AM

OK found the cause.

It was due to a link to a cell in a none existant workbook:

(<file name removed>(version 1).xlsb)

I will call the workbook I was trying to open as Right.xlsm

In Excel Preferences/Edit selected the box “Ask to update automatic links”.

Opened Right.xlms and among other options I selected “edit link” and it popped up with a window which

confirmed this errant file was a linked workbook. Closed that window.

I then searched in the entire Right.xlsm for “(version1)” and found a single cell that referred to the file:

<filename removed>(version 1).xlsb. I amended that cell to link to the correct cell and all was fine and dandy.

Of cause the linked workbook title is normally associated with a file when Excel has unexpectedly quit without saving the open workbook.

No idea how this wrong link was created but a lesson learnt for me and hopefully for others.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2022 5:54 AM in response to Need_help_give_help

OK found the cause.

It was due to a link to a cell in a none existant workbook:

(<file name removed>(version 1).xlsb)

I will call the workbook I was trying to open as Right.xlsm

In Excel Preferences/Edit selected the box “Ask to update automatic links”.

Opened Right.xlms and among other options I selected “edit link” and it popped up with a window which

confirmed this errant file was a linked workbook. Closed that window.

I then searched in the entire Right.xlsm for “(version1)” and found a single cell that referred to the file:

<filename removed>(version 1).xlsb. I amended that cell to link to the correct cell and all was fine and dandy.

Of cause the linked workbook title is normally associated with a file when Excel has unexpectedly quit without saving the open workbook.

No idea how this wrong link was created but a lesson learnt for me and hopefully for others.

Excel for Mac ‘crash?’ file “cannot be found”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.