Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Excel is trying to open non .xlsx files

I recently updated my MS Excel to 16.73 and when I try to open the program, it immediately tries to open files in my documents folder, regardless of the document format, and I get a string of pop up boxes telling me a file isn't compatible with Excel. I deleted the program as advised, restarted the MacBook, reinstalled, and same thing. Tonight I downloaded the Excel update, which claimed to have bug fixes, and it is the same thing.

Is there a way to delete not just the app but also the file associated with the app and start completely fresh, meaning that it says "Get" in the app store as opposed to having the download cloud? No issues with Word or Powerpoint, but Excel is essentially useless now. Upgrading to Ventura made no difference whatsoever.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 3:17 PM

I think ku4hx is on to something. Assuming your Excel installation is in fact attempting to open everything in your Documents folder, try this: create a new, temporary folder on your Desktop (for example), and drag the entire contents of Documents to it. Emptying the Documents folder will presumably allow you to open Excel and examine that "At startup, open all files in:" field, since that folder will be empty. Presumably the Clear button adjacent to it should clear that field.

This should be harmless enough but I would be remiss if I did not point out the necessity to create a Time Machine backup first, if you have not done so already: Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support.

Determine if that works, then revert the modification by dragging the entire contents of that temporary folder on your Desktop back to Documents, where they began.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2023 3:17 PM in response to ze red baron

I think ku4hx is on to something. Assuming your Excel installation is in fact attempting to open everything in your Documents folder, try this: create a new, temporary folder on your Desktop (for example), and drag the entire contents of Documents to it. Emptying the Documents folder will presumably allow you to open Excel and examine that "At startup, open all files in:" field, since that folder will be empty. Presumably the Clear button adjacent to it should clear that field.

This should be harmless enough but I would be remiss if I did not point out the necessity to create a Time Machine backup first, if you have not done so already: Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support.

Determine if that works, then revert the modification by dragging the entire contents of that temporary folder on your Desktop back to Documents, where they began.

Jul 12, 2023 4:23 AM in response to ze red baron

What non .xlsx files exactly?

Excel can open many different files noted by extension, but it can only open Excel acceptable files. If you open any qualifying Excel file and then do a Save As you'll see all the possibilities .

My guess is you've managed to set an auto open file that is not an Excel file, by putting that file into the XLStart folder. Intentionally or accidentally makes no difference..

Automatically open a specific workbook when you start Excel

To automatically open a specific workbook when you start Excel, you can place that workbook in the XLStart folder, or you can use an alternate startup folder in addition to the XLStart folder.

However, John Galt is correct, ask in an Excel forum.

Jul 12, 2023 9:34 AM in response to stumpy1946

my MacBook does not have an XLStart folder. I found a Startup folder with subfolders for Excel, Powerpoint, and Word, but there were no files in those. Since the 16.73 upgrade, it has been trying to open anything in my Documents folder, including .docx, pdf, and others. The only thing I did when it was doing the upgrade was close Excel and save the one open file.

Excel is trying to open non .xlsx files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.