Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to separate iPads to separate accounts

My husband and I both have iPads. Somehow when they were set up, his iPad ended up in my devices as "iPad 2". How do I take his iPad off of my account and only have it under his devices in his name? Thank you in advance.

iPad

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 9:35 AM

Each user should have their own AppleID - and use their unique AppleID with their own devices.

As described, you’ll need to separate your digital identities, configuring a new AppleID if necessary.

How to create a new Apple ID – Apple Support

Next, for the iPad that you wish to transfer, properly prepare the iPad for use by a different user. This will ensure that the Activation Lock associated with your own AppleID is removed - and that no sensitive data (such as your Keychain) is inadvertently merged with the account of the new user:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

After performing this procedure, you’ll be able to set-up the iPad “as new”. If you have not already created a new AppleID, you’ll have opportunity to do so during initial setup.

After separating your identities, you can selectively share purchased Apple Services, Subscriptions, Apps and Media using Apple’s Family Sharing features:

Family Sharing - Apple

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-set-up-family-sharing-iphone-ipad

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2022 9:35 AM in response to BuzzLady84

Each user should have their own AppleID - and use their unique AppleID with their own devices.

As described, you’ll need to separate your digital identities, configuring a new AppleID if necessary.

How to create a new Apple ID – Apple Support

Next, for the iPad that you wish to transfer, properly prepare the iPad for use by a different user. This will ensure that the Activation Lock associated with your own AppleID is removed - and that no sensitive data (such as your Keychain) is inadvertently merged with the account of the new user:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

After performing this procedure, you’ll be able to set-up the iPad “as new”. If you have not already created a new AppleID, you’ll have opportunity to do so during initial setup.

After separating your identities, you can selectively share purchased Apple Services, Subscriptions, Apps and Media using Apple’s Family Sharing features:

Family Sharing - Apple

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-set-up-family-sharing-iphone-ipad

Sep 12, 2022 12:30 PM in response to LotusPilot

LotusPilot,

Thank you for responding. My husband has his own Apple I.D. and the iPad was in his name. I don’t know how it ended up under my devices. Would I just delete it from my account? How do I then put it under his account? It’s also listed under his Apple Devices as iPad2 just as it is in mine. Every app he puts in his iPad also ends up on mine. Thank you so much for your help.

How to separate iPads to separate accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.