Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Verify External HD Time Machine Backup.

I want to verify a time machine backup on an external drive to my iMac hd. The Apple support page says to press the option key after opening Time Machine. However, nothing happens and that option does not work. Using the terminal cmd of "tmutil compare –s" does not find a path to the external hd.

How can I verify a time machine backup on an external hd to my iMac that is on macOS Big Sur?

iMac

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 3:30 PM

Note those instructions are only applicable if you back up to a network disk. If the disk is directly connected to your Mac, use Disk Utility to verify it.

The Apple support page says to press the option key after opening Time Machine.

Almost. As Verify your backup disk on Mac - Apple Support explains, click the TM icon and then press an Option key.

Those instructions might be easier to follow if Apple were to say "press and hold an Option key while clicking the TM icon, then choose Verify Backups."

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2022 3:30 PM in response to mike.back9

Note those instructions are only applicable if you back up to a network disk. If the disk is directly connected to your Mac, use Disk Utility to verify it.

The Apple support page says to press the option key after opening Time Machine.

Almost. As Verify your backup disk on Mac - Apple Support explains, click the TM icon and then press an Option key.

Those instructions might be easier to follow if Apple were to say "press and hold an Option key while clicking the TM icon, then choose Verify Backups."

How to Verify External HD Time Machine Backup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.