Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased 50Gig of storage for my elderly Aunt's iPad Air 2. It has 16 of Gig RAM with just over 14Gig used. When I go to Backup - it says 0 Backups and no switch to turn on Backups. How do I activate Backups?

When I go to Backup on her iPad - it says 0 Backups. On my iPhone there is a switch with Backup to turn backups on. On her iPad - there is no switch.

We can't install the OS update because there is not enough room.

I had her purchase 50Gig of storage from iCloud.

iPadOS 15.7 is currently installed. I'm attaching a picture of what I see after pressing Backups.

I'd like to be able to backup her iPad - then purchase a new iPad with 256Gig. Then transfer everything from the old iPad to the new one using iCloud.

But I can't seem to get it to start a backup.

Any ideas?

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 1:15 PM

Yngvar The Mean wrote:

When I go to Backup on her iPad - it says 0 Backups. On my iPhone there is a switch with Backup to turn backups on. On her iPad - there is no switch.

iPadOS 15.7 is currently installed. I'm attaching a picture of what I see after pressing Backups.

I'd like to be able to backup her iPad - then purchase a new iPad with 256Gig. Then transfer everything from the old iPad to the new one using iCloud.

Any ideas?

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/fe797732-16ea-4ea3-a895-4c912b9ce49b

How to back up your iPhone or iPad with iCloud - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2022 1:15 PM in response to Yngvar The Mean

Yngvar The Mean wrote:

Any ideas?

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/fe797732-16ea-4ea3-a895-4c912b9ce49b

How to back up your iPhone or iPad with iCloud - Apple Support

Sep 12, 2022 1:38 PM in response to Phil0124

Hi Phil,

Thank you for getting back to me. I really appreciate it.

That's where I went. That is where the screen shot is taken from.

I have my own iPad and when I do the same thing - I can activate the Backup.

I'm attaching a Screenshot from my iPad.

This is where I'm confused. I have the Backup switch on my iPad, and my iPhone - but there's no switch to activate the backup on her iPad.

Sep 14, 2022 3:58 PM in response to Phil0124

Hi Phil,

I made it down to my Aunt's place and checked out her iPad. While under her name in the System Settings - and at the bottom of the screen her device was listed. I pressed that and there was an option to turn iCloud Backups on. I did that and then iCloud Backup appeared on the list - and I was able to activate the backups. Thanks again for your help!

Purchased 50Gig of storage for my elderly Aunt's iPad Air 2. It has 16 of Gig RAM with just over 14Gig used. When I go to Backup - it says 0 Backups and no switch to turn on Backups. How do I activate Backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.