Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apps not working in normal mode but work in safe mode

I have been trying to use Spotify and have not been able to open it. it would just close as soon as i open it. it opened just fine in safe mode.

I also have a few other apps that have been doing the same thing to where it would try to open but instantly close. again these apps opened just fine in safe mode.

I have gone to fully restoring my mac OS X and reformatting my hard drive. still nothing to the sort to opening on my mac.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 8:54 PM

Good job discovering the source of the problem.

FYI, to anyone reading this thread, this is yet another good reason why not to disable SIP because things can go wrong and it can be very hard to find the cause. I never even considered SIP being the problem here since Safe Mode was working.

Plus a few years ago a simple Google Chrome update prevented Macs from booting systems which had SIP disabled:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/no-it-wasnt-a-virus-it-was-chrome-that-stopped-macs-from-booting/

This happened due to a legitimate app developer making a simple mistake because they did not bother to test a non-default configuration of macOS. I can even see a macOS update having the same issue since I highly doubt Apple tests their patches with SIP disabled either. Now imagine if a nefarious app had taken advantage of a system with SIP disabled.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2022 8:54 PM in response to Futurewolfteen

Good job discovering the source of the problem.

FYI, to anyone reading this thread, this is yet another good reason why not to disable SIP because things can go wrong and it can be very hard to find the cause. I never even considered SIP being the problem here since Safe Mode was working.

Plus a few years ago a simple Google Chrome update prevented Macs from booting systems which had SIP disabled:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/no-it-wasnt-a-virus-it-was-chrome-that-stopped-macs-from-booting/

This happened due to a legitimate app developer making a simple mistake because they did not bother to test a non-default configuration of macOS. I can even see a macOS update having the same issue since I highly doubt Apple tests their patches with SIP disabled either. Now imagine if a nefarious app had taken advantage of a system with SIP disabled.

Sep 12, 2022 5:33 PM in response to Futurewolfteen

If things work while booted into Safe Mode, but fails to work when booting normally, then it means you most likely have some third party software installed which is interfering with the normal operation of macOS. The most likely culprits are anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, or third party security software. If you have any of these apps installed, then uninstall them by following the developer's instructions. If you still have problems, then run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

apps not working in normal mode but work in safe mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.