Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is "Web" in Background App Refresh section on iPhone

just updated to iOS 16.0

iOS 16.0 iPhone 13 Pro Max

the ‘web’ app below

what is it? Anyone else have this issue?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 3:37 AM

The Web app refresh lets you stop web tabs from constantly refreshing in background, e.g. weather web page. See https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/xdgo7k/ios16_background_app_refresh_what_is_this_web_app/

32 replies

Nov 6, 2022 1:43 AM in response to jasonflying

Yes, it would seem many of us in fact are looking into this. Some like me tend not to make posts. Many other websites out there trying to sort it out as well. I did call Apple and they had no explanation for the app but would not say it was not suppose to be there. Would not explain why there was no image to either and no explanation why it would back up to iCloud or what it does. The CS agent did say she was adding notes and having it monitored.

Sometimes the AccessibilityUIServer app would disappear and reappear on my phone, and sometimes turn itself back on at startup. Other settings are turning themselves on, and like others who have found this- I too have been hacked often in recent history. I am in my states address anonymity program because of a zen cult I left and an obsessed ex, this is all a very disturbing phenomenon.

Nov 19, 2022 2:21 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Ok. Seems you know stuff & that! 👏🏻👏🏻

I have been battling iPhone demons for what seems an age,& I too have the above mentioned symptoms & unwanted unknowns one of which is "Web" application tile.

I'll take a hit for the team & ask the blatantly obvious at the risk of a sharp & empty retort..... "how do I find said "auto updating web pages in Safari" so that I may pry a potential resolve to this planet wide dilemma that is nothing short of a "class A" security breach that is effecting how many did you say?

Nov 19, 2022 7:38 AM in response to 1humbleguy

The only way is to close all web pages.You have no control over whether a web page updates in background or not; that is controlled by the page. But it is not a security breach of any kind, not Class A, not Class Z. At worst it if you leave it on it displays information on your browser that you haven’t seen. As you have turned it off, however, it is not an issue.

Nov 24, 2022 4:12 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi, I just noticed the same thing in my background app refresh. I stumbled across thi is forum and the more I read the more intrigued I became due to the crazy way I use my iPhone. I have a feeling it may be intriguing to others so below is a rundown. Just a heads up I’ve got nearly zero tech knowledge or skills and I’m not overly concerned about the app I was just looking for how to delete it.

Except for Express VPN I don’t leave apps open running in the background. I only use Brave browser and all open tabs, data, cookies etc is deleted each time the app is closed.

On the rare occasion a link or file opens in safari I shut the tab, delete the history, shut the app and clear the website history and data in settings.

Only a hand full of apps have access to the camera, microphone, my location, camera roll etc and even than it is set that they have to request permission each time and i than select allow once. All privacy settings are at there maximum. Siri is disabled if I think of anything else I’ll add to it

Hope my crazyness helps

Nov 24, 2022 6:15 PM in response to GRF199

GRF199 wrote:

Is that the ‘Web’ switch located in background app refresh?

yes.

Why is the app in question the only one in background app refresh that isn’t on my Home Screen or Library or something I downloaded or can delete.

Because it isn’t an app, it is an iOS service used by apps. And if you could delete it no browsers and many apps on your phone would no longer work, because all browsers (not just safari) and any app that displays data from a website use it to access websites. There are many apps you can’t delete, such as Settings, FindMy, App Store, and many more. This is just another one that you can’t delete.

What is "Web" in Background App Refresh section on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.