Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clicked on a scam text and filled in my credit card details - do I need to run a virus check on my iPhone?

Hi, I clicked on a spam text message from Linkt (an Australian toll company) which said I had an overdue payment that was about to turn into a fine. I clicked on the link and entered my card details and then the next page said it would send a verification code. After a few minutes I realised that it was a scam, blocked my card and the fraud team at my credit card company said there was a $2 charge from google and that I should run a virus check on my iPhone. I've searched online but some websites say yes while others say no need. Do I need to run a virus/malware check on my iPhone?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 10:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 12:39 AM

See the following Apple articles:

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Security and your Apple ID

Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store

Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Don't jailbroken your iPhone.

and the fraud team at my credit card company said there was a $2 charge from google

Contact your bank, they can find out who (name, address & account number) has collected the amount from your bank account, and when.

Depending on your bank, they can collect the amount back within 30 days.

Also report to the police.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2022 12:39 AM in response to TylerRogers

See the following Apple articles:

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Security and your Apple ID

Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store

Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Don't jailbroken your iPhone.

and the fraud team at my credit card company said there was a $2 charge from google

Contact your bank, they can find out who (name, address & account number) has collected the amount from your bank account, and when.

Depending on your bank, they can collect the amount back within 30 days.

Also report to the police.

Clicked on a scam text and filled in my credit card details - do I need to run a virus check on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.