Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i transfer my documents and softwares from my macbook pro to my n ew imac?

How do I transfer my softwares, documents and files from my old MacBook Pro to my new iMac?

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 5:06 AM

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

2 replies

Sep 13, 2022 9:29 AM in response to sebba34

Migration Assistant is a program provided by Apple for transferring your files from your old computer to your new computer. It is very easy to use. Be sure to read and follow its instructions. Basically, the process is as follows.

You first begin by starting the process of setting up your new computer. You will be asked if you wish to transfer files. Respond YES and follow the instructions you will be given.

You will be told to turn both computers on and activate Migration Assistant in the old computer.

The computers should be connected with a USB cable to facilitate the transfer.  Wi-Fi is simply not suited for a transfer of so much data and corruption often results.  Do not use it. It can corrupt or lose data.

You will be given several options as to what to transfer. You will likely want to transfer your settings and preferences.

You can transfer all or none of your files. You do not have an option to select certain files to transfer. If you wish to do that, then do so manually.

The old computer's operating system will not be transferred. No data from the old computer is erased.

Allow for up to an hour for the transfer process to complete once you start it.

It should set up the new computer the same as the old one.

Enjoy your new Mac.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

how do i transfer my documents and softwares from my macbook pro to my n ew imac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.