Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a ipad mc706ll/a that will not connect to my wifi.

I have a ipad mc706ll/a that will not connect to my wifi. the wifi works with all my other apple devices, ipad pro and iphone 12. I have tried reset of network, reset of all settings. no luck, tried to restore from backup but it requires turning off find my ipad, which requires wifi. I am stuck. what do i do now?

Rod

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 7:47 AM

Start here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

…and here:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If your WiFi has been set-up according to Apple’s recommended settings, WiFi and Internet connection difficulties are usually an indication that your device does not have a routable IP Address - your IP Address usually being assigned by DHCP. When this occurs, your iPad may only have a self-assigned link-local IP address that begins 169.254.x.x.

If you have a VPN App or profiles installed, or a security App such as Norton, these may be interfering with DHCP and preventing your device from obtaining a valid IP Address for your iPhone hotspot - or the WiFi network to which you are attempting to connect. The resolution is usually simple; if installed, you may only need to temporarily disable or remove the Security App and/or VPN.

DHCP is frequently used to automatically obtain an IP Address. Until your iPad has a valid IP Address to connect to your network, you will not have an internet connection. Disabling or removing VPN and/or the offending security App should allow DHCP to operate normally - allowing connection to your network and the internet.

If this resolves your issue, the VPN and/or security App can be reinstated after the connectivity problem has been resolved.

If you are unable to self-resolve the problem, you may need to seek assistance from Apple. You might be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2022 7:47 AM in response to Rmop

Start here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

…and here:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If your WiFi has been set-up according to Apple’s recommended settings, WiFi and Internet connection difficulties are usually an indication that your device does not have a routable IP Address - your IP Address usually being assigned by DHCP. When this occurs, your iPad may only have a self-assigned link-local IP address that begins 169.254.x.x.

If you have a VPN App or profiles installed, or a security App such as Norton, these may be interfering with DHCP and preventing your device from obtaining a valid IP Address for your iPhone hotspot - or the WiFi network to which you are attempting to connect. The resolution is usually simple; if installed, you may only need to temporarily disable or remove the Security App and/or VPN.

DHCP is frequently used to automatically obtain an IP Address. Until your iPad has a valid IP Address to connect to your network, you will not have an internet connection. Disabling or removing VPN and/or the offending security App should allow DHCP to operate normally - allowing connection to your network and the internet.

If this resolves your issue, the VPN and/or security App can be reinstated after the connectivity problem has been resolved.

If you are unable to self-resolve the problem, you may need to seek assistance from Apple. You might be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Sep 13, 2022 8:10 AM in response to Rmop

You don’t need to access Find My to reset/erase your iPad.

If you haven’t already done so, perform a forced-restart of your iPad - as this will often clear an isolated software issue:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If the problem remains unresolved, try a factory restore. This procedure will erase the iPad and install a fresh copy of iPadOS 15.7:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, you may need to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, if you have access to another device, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Sep 13, 2022 9:56 AM in response to LotusPilot

this is amazing, the top of this page shows your response to erase AND RESET IPAD"You don’t need to access Find My to reset/erase your iPad.". If you try to erase the ipad it makes you login to apple on the ipad, which you cannot do because the ipad problem is " cannot connect to my wifi"

I think we need a human to understand the problem

rod

Sep 13, 2022 10:18 AM in response to Rmop

Try to take your ipad somewhere else where you know the wifi is good and see if it connects there. (Like a coffee shop or library)

If it does then the wifi on the ipad works but the connection to your home wifi does not.

if it does not work then the wifi on your device is not working and that’s probably time for a service call.

Since only your ipad is not working it could be a firewall or other ‘net nanny’ type of program that’s blocking the device. (If you live in an area with Cox internet you’ve probably seen the commercials for blocking specific devices, so your wifi may have something similar). If it could be a firewall issue then you have to poke around your router’s settings to see what’s what.

You could be typo’ing the wifi password. Happens to all of us.

Another issue I’ve had, I see that you have iOS9 down? Is one of your devices really old? I’ve had issues with older devices being incompatible with current security or current passwords (I had a device that would not work if the wifi password had 2 symbols in it). Or if the device is older it may be running on 2.5MHz internet and maybe if your router is newer then it may not be broadcasting in 2.5….there’s a lot of variables that are simply impossible for us to guess at.

I have a ipad mc706ll/a that will not connect to my wifi.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.