Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backups not working

I just updated my MacBook Air to macOS Monterey, version 12.6, yesterday. I used Trend Micro Antivirus to do a full scan of my computer and everything came up fine. I plugged in my WD Passport 2 TB backup drive (my Mac is currently under 1TB of usage). This is the same drive I have used for Time Machine backups every time. The backup starts and begins to assess how many changes have been made since the last backup (I assume?), but at some point in the process, my Mac keeps crashing. It keeps doing this & I have no idea why.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 1:04 PM

facehimself wrote:

I just updated my MacBook Air to macOS Monterey, version 12.6, yesterday. I used Trend Micro Antivirus to do a full scan of my computer and everything came up fine. I plugged in my WD Passport 2 TB backup drive (my Mac is currently under 1TB of usage). This is the same drive I have used for Time Machine backups every time. The backup starts and begins to assess how many changes have been made since the last backup (I assume?), but at some point in the process, my Mac keeps crashing. It keeps doing this & I have no idea why.

Uninstall the third party Antivirus—

Typically third party Anti-Virus does nothing but add issues and compete directly with Apple’s® own built in Security:

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

macOS - Security - Apple macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2022 1:04 PM in response to facehimself

facehimself wrote:

Uninstall the third party Antivirus—

Typically third party Anti-Virus does nothing but add issues and compete directly with Apple’s® own built in Security:

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

macOS - Security - Apple macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

Time Machine backups not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.