Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine sometimes doesn't do regular hourly backups on macOS Ventura - has anyone else experienced?

Hi,

I’m just writing to ask if anyone else here has had a particular problem with Time Machine in macOS Ventura, of backups not occurring regularly on the hour, as they should? I first noticed this problem on Monterey on one of my Macs, but am now witnessing something similar on Ventura… the issue I experience is that when I reboot my Mac, for about five or six days, backups will run regularly each hour, as expected, but after that, the backups become very sporadic and intermittent (sometimes not running for hours at a time)… and one of the weirdest things I’ve seen, is that when the backups are in this state, actually clicking in the Time Machine icon in the menu bar will cause a backup to start!

So, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this (either on Ventura or not)… as I say, rebooting does seem to fix the problem, but only temporarily…

Many thanks, regards,

Arko Chakrabarty

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 1:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 7:45 AM

arko2 wrote:

Hi,

I’m just writing to ask if anyone else here has had a particular problem with Time Machine in macOS Ventura, of backups not occurring regularly on the hour, as they should? I first noticed this problem on Monterey on one of my Macs, but am now witnessing something similar on Ventura… the issue I experience is that when I reboot my Mac, for about five or six days, backups will run regularly each hour, as expected, but after that, the backups become very sporadic and intermittent (sometimes not running for hours at a time)… and one of the weirdest things I’ve seen, is that when the backups are in this state, actually clicking in the Time Machine icon in the menu bar will cause a backup to start!

So, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this (either on Ventura or not)… as I say, rebooting does seem to fix the problem, but only temporarily…

Many thanks, regards,

Arko Chakrabarty

if no resolve you can always start a new drive for your Time Machine backups and compare your results.

Alternatively, if this TM drive has followed you through multiple macOS simply erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac— and try again

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2023 7:45 AM in response to arko2

arko2 wrote:

Hi,

Many thanks, regards,

Arko Chakrabarty

if no resolve you can always start a new drive for your Time Machine backups and compare your results.

Alternatively, if this TM drive has followed you through multiple macOS simply erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac— and try again

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

Time Machine sometimes doesn't do regular hourly backups on macOS Ventura - has anyone else experienced?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.