Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi Connection Issues after iOS 16 Update on iPhone

Anybody having Wi-Fi connection problems with ios16

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 9:08 PM

I am also having this problem. Wifi times out / becomes very slow often after updating to IOS16. I see many people on twitter having the same issue. Often, in Wifi settings, it will say "No Internet Connection" even though I am connected to Wifi.

Things I have tried:

Reset network settings. (Did not fix issue.)

Reset phone from backup. (Did not fix issue.)

Reset router, and modem. (Did not fix issue.)

Forget the network and rejoin. (Did not fix issue.)

Updated to 16.0.2 (Did not fix issue.)

Other devices without IOS 16 work just fine on the same WiFi, so I know it is a result of installing IOS16. The issue did not appear until IOS16 was installed.

Note: I can connect to the wifi just fine, but the connection is terrible and times out often.

Router is a Linksys EA8300 if this helps.

Thanks.

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2022 9:08 PM in response to GerryODonovan

I am also having this problem. Wifi times out / becomes very slow often after updating to IOS16. I see many people on twitter having the same issue. Often, in Wifi settings, it will say "No Internet Connection" even though I am connected to Wifi.

Things I have tried:

Reset network settings. (Did not fix issue.)

Reset phone from backup. (Did not fix issue.)

Reset router, and modem. (Did not fix issue.)

Forget the network and rejoin. (Did not fix issue.)

Updated to 16.0.2 (Did not fix issue.)

Other devices without IOS 16 work just fine on the same WiFi, so I know it is a result of installing IOS16. The issue did not appear until IOS16 was installed.

Note: I can connect to the wifi just fine, but the connection is terrible and times out often.

Router is a Linksys EA8300 if this helps.

Thanks.

Oct 26, 2022 6:01 AM in response to Maliciousloki

Hey just something to try… every time my phone blipped it’s Wi-Fi I saw the location icon flicker as well in the upper right. Just as a troubleshooting step I went and disabled all location services (which is almost as annoying while traveling as losing Wi-Fi but I digress), and my Wi-Fi has not flapped once since! Perhaps there is a bug between location services and Wi-Fi? Maybe some of the folks having issues on this forum could try this and report back… for me, it’s at least a temporary workaround…

Apr 2, 2023 4:31 AM in response to Disappointed63

UPDATE!! I have an IPhone 14 Pro Max. My WiFi router is an Arris BGW210. I updated to IOS 14.4 and had problems…This procedure below worked!

1. have your IPhone WiFi on.
  2. get within 2’ of your router.
  3. Reset your router. My router resets by holding the button down for 10 seconds. Consult your router manufacturer for reset procedure, or your Internet provider.
  4. Stay within 2’ of your router.
  5. Your IPhone will begin searching for networks.
  6. when your router completes its reset/reboot, your IPhone will automatically connect to your network.
  7. Then it will disconnect 1 time, don’t worry…and then it will reconnect. After the reconnect, my phone has stayed connected for a half hour without issue. Hope this helps all of you!

Oct 18, 2022 10:51 AM in response to GerryODonovan

IOS 16.0.3 Same problem. Wi-Fi drops after a few minutes & won’t reconnect. Problem did NOT exist on same phone and same network in same place. Like other poster tried the litany of “other fixes” with no success. This remains a bug in the OS. I suspect it is tied to power-saving, e.g. shutting off the Wi-Fi antenna to save battery life but failing to seamlessly reconnect as-needed.

Oct 30, 2022 9:06 AM in response to GerryODonovan

Several issues seem to have arisen with the latest update (Ventura 13.0). Among these, connections between my iPhone and my MBPro have particularly been affected.

1 Cannot connect my iPhone to my MBPro using the "Files" app on the phone. This worked very well before the update. When trying to connect from the iPhone I get an error message saying "There was a problem connecting to the server...."

2. Cannot import photos, scans or sketches from the iPhone to the MBPro using the import tool in Finder. This also worked well before the update. Now I get the message "Could not import from iPhone. kInvalidatedErr (Connection invalidating)"

3 Cannot see my iPhone in the Finder sidebar unless it is connected via the lightning cable.

Is this something I can fix or do I have to wait for updates to the Mac and/or iOS operating systems?

Nov 8, 2022 5:23 AM in response to GerryODonovan

Have 7 iOS 16.x devices (3 x iPhones, 2 x iPads and 2 x Macs). When you have WANIP address within the Class A range, this will happen. Changed my router's WANIP to Class C range. Works well. Android devices and PCs, does not have any issues with any IP Class ranges.

Now all my Apple devices with iOS16 works well. Apple may want to take note of this hotfix.

Class A 1.x.x.x.x to 126.x.x.x

Class B 128.x.x.x to 191.x.x.x

Class C 192.x.x.x to 223.x.x.x

Class D 224.x.x.x to 239.x.x.x

Peace out!

Nov 11, 2022 2:51 AM in response to SGBalackuda

Does not fix the issue (for me). Tested with four different Wi-Fi network locations where the external interface of the router is class C (192.168.1.0/24, in most cases).

As an aside, while I appreciate the willingness to help, I really don’t think that changing the router should ever be a fix for when Apple decides to update their network stack and cause the issue in the first place. In my home network, for instance, both ISP give my firewall public IP in class B space and I cannot change that even if I wanted to. Just because Apple broke things with an update doesn’t mean end users should work around it, because sometimes this isn’t possible.

No offense intended, I just see a LOT of. “Update your router” or “reset your router to factory defaults” or suggestions like that when the real issue is that nothing changed on the router… the Apple device got updated and is now broke. So the issue is clearly the update. If we all go beating up the device we know we didn’t mess with in the first place, you could knock IoT devices offline or break your whole network!

As a note, LD150 in another thread suggested just turning off Networking and Wi-Fi under Location Services but leaving the rest as on and it’s been a lifesaver, allowing me to leave location services on without the flippy floppy Wi-Fi…

Nov 11, 2022 3:31 PM in response to Maliciousloki

So sorry to hear about it that it does not resolve for you.

I agree with you on your several points on not changing the router settings or such just because Apple updates f***s up settings or connectivity issues, I believe that before the release of such updates or patches, Apple developers might not have done thorough testing in their development environment before pushing up to production for the updates in the market to download.

No worries, no offense taken as most of us have been in such situations before and any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Whilst most of us have some workaround that works for us in our individual settings, it may or may not work for others. No harm in trying their workarounds as long as it does not cause further issues.

Nov 11, 2022 3:58 PM in response to GerryODonovan

Possibly only indirectly related, as I believe I had several days if not longer running iOS 16/16.1 with no issues at all and then suddenly it failed, but what I'm experiencing does feel like a software issue.

My connection to the (hotel - I can't restart the router) wifi died earlier today and nothing including updating to 16.1.1 has resolved this.

Oddly, in the settings I see the network name and blue tick as usual but no signal/wifi icon appears on the top right of the phone... connection has not been reinstated since this first happened despite the additional OS update and hard restarts.

WiFi Connection Issues after iOS 16 Update on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.